Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car in for rockers,floor and windshield pillar work.Rear defrost switch stays on.Courtesy lights don't work without key on.Underhood light doesn't work.
Where do they run the wires for the door pins on the G/Ns?I'll probably have to redo them.
Where does the courtesy,under hood light tie into the harness?
Any help would be appreciated.Thanx in advance.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Wow!

Underhood light plugs into the blk/orange wire and then goes down to the C100 big connector under the wiper motor and changes to a solid orange wire that goes into connector S290 above the steering column and above the convenience center module. Big connector.

The footwell lamps are also wired with orange wires and should be hot at all times off the cigar/clk fuse not run through ign. sw. power. There is a int.lighting connector in the car on the left side next to the C100 bulkhead connector that goes through the firewall, C100 goes through, the C453 connector is attached to the inside of it. This provides a place for all those orange wires to hang out and there should be some plugged into it in columns. Labeled A-F on one side and a second row too. Power to this connector should be from the cig./clk fuse via guess what another orange wire.

Door jamb switches provide a ground, if they work the lights with the key ON properly there probably isn't a problem with their wiring and ground path. Sounds like the orange wires above are messed up in their feed power from the firewall area.

Check them out first. What happens when you move the dimmer switch to ON to turn on the interior lights? My guess is you need the key ON to make them work as this also is a ground path.

Check the power at the lamps key off and it should read +12 on both sides door closed. When you open the door one side should be +12 and the other side ground and of course the light should be on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So,it sounds like a blown cig/clk fuse could do something like this?I'm hoping it's that simple.You guys are good.i will check all this out.Thanks,I'll let you know how it comes out.

------------------
Give em' hell!

[This message has been edited by The Radius Kid (edited August 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Ummm not really, sounds like they rewired the orange wires on ya!

You wouldn't get key ign. power from a blown cig/clk fuse you'd get nothing working the lights.

Trace the hot wiring....

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I would tell you what to do RK but Salvage reads his book faster than I do! He is the god of electrical problems!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No kidding!I think I found the problem.Thanks again.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Why is this a problem? I wish my dome lights wouldn't come on.

And While I'm at it. Does anyone (Salvage?) know how to disconnect the key buzzer...You know the thing that skreiks at youo when the door is open with the keys in the ignition. I HATE THAT THING!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Sure the buzzer has a wire from the ign. switch to the chime module. You may have to go digging a bit but we can ummm ELIMINATE the problem.

Stay tuned for the wiring mods.

Yeah I'm at work and have no clue how to do it, yet......

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Here ya go!

C104 11 cavities, Attached to RH side of steering column. Should be just in front of the column mounting bolts on the bracket according to the picture.

Cavity F should be light green wire break the circuit there and the fast tone key in ign. signal will never work again. Unless the green wire gets grounded somehow.

Might have to do that myself....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thanks a ton, I've been wanting to kill that thing for so long, but I can't stand the noise long enough to find the buzzer. I've tried probably 20 times after about 5 minutes of that thing I'm about ready to push the car in the Flint River.
This is the first thing I'm doing when I get home!

I HATE THAT THING!

[This message has been edited by PRSRIZD_V6 (edited August 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
That mod. will only disable the buzzer if the ign. switch or wiring to that point is bad.

If the module itself is bad or the wiring from the column to the module it will still ring. If you can get at the module itself and remove the light green wire there that would eliminate all the wiring and the ign. switch as the source of the trouble, but still leave the module itself in question.

Hope that makes sense, prolly a 50-50 shot it's the ign. switch.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Now I'm confused.....

I don't want the buzzer to work at all. Currently it works the way it's supposed to but, I hate it!
I want to disconect it so that it won't make any noise ever again. Where is the buzzer located? I can't find the dang thing. I HATE THAT THING!

thanks Salvage

[This message has been edited by PRSRIZD_V6 (edited August 07, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Called the Convenience Center...black plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes under the dash kinda behind the radio. Takes a carnival contortionist to get to it easily.

Come take the one out of my T, the seat belt light flashes on and off all the time.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:

Come take the one out of my T, the seat belt light flashes on and off all the time.

I don't even want the one I have. I HATE THAT THING!
even though it works correctly. The noise makes me sick. And I'm not driving to TX to play twister under your dash

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Steve mine does too! Holdover from the late 70's disco days....

Hey Pressureized
, that mod. with the steering column wire on the right side will disable a working one so it should be easy once you remove the lower plastic cover and look above the gas pedal for the "harmonica" connector on the right side of the steering column. Hope it works for ya!

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
Salvage... I have a ? for you..

The coach lamps (the rectangular florescent lights in my landau top) in my car only seem to come on once in a blue moon, and not every time I turn on the headlamps and lights.. Actually they havent worked AT ALL for a little while now. I dont think its the lights themselves that are the problem.
Any ideas? (I know its something electrical)

Thanks!

------------------
Steve Ruston
1987 Turbo Limited

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Do you mean the Electroluminescent Sail Panels?

Actually I'm at work so I have no idea.

Ooops just got fired I guess I'll go home and look it up for ya....

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Okay here we go! Coach lamps. 101

If both lights don't work check tail lamps fuse by operating park lights.

If one light doesn't work check the wiring and light on one side.

Voltage is applied to the lights from the tail lamp fuse at all times on the brown wire with the lights in park or head pos.

When the light switch is in park or head voltage is applied to the inverter input and the lights are supplied with 110VAC to run the coach lamps.

Your inverter may be defective and it is located in the trunk behind the center of the rear seat with two connectors on it.

At the light the brown wire is +12 to a good ground, the Dark Blue is the 110VAC send and the WHT wire is the 110VAC return line to the inverter.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow,this guy's good.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
my bitch is on fire!!
908 Posts
Salvage, you any good with '84 vettes? The ONLY interior lights that work, are the turn signal and high beam indicators--and they're on ALL the time! (when they're not going dim on me)

At night, it's like driving a cave!

------------------
NOTE MY NEW WEBSITE URL!
www.buickfromhell.com
(For custom dress-up items!)
AND my new e-mail address:
[email protected]
thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts