Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engineering Quiz

A Backhoe weighing 8 tons is on top of a flatbed trailer and heading east on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas. The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with 1 1/2 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a crisscross pattern layered at 1 foot vertical spacing.

Solve: When the shovel arm hits the overpass, how fast do you have to be going to slice the bridge in half? (Assume no effect for headwind and no braking by the driver...)

Extra Credit: Solve for the time and distance required for the entire rig to come to a complete stop after hitting the overpass at the speed calculated above.

Answer - Who cares, the trucking company just bought themselves a bridge.

Attachments

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
Holy smokes! I use to drive a truck in college and there is no way a competent trucker would take that load on the interstate with the arm extended. Something must have happened to the backhoe as he was going down the road. I wonder if a hydralic hose could've broke or something causing it to rise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
First, that hoe is closer to 20 tons (40,000lbs).

Second, the boom went up because the top of it caught the bridge and it was the path of least res. it didn't move going down the rod and they didn't transpot it that way.

How the tracks stayed on the lowboy is beyond me.

Your looking at close to 5mil in damage. :usa:

Def forwarding this to people..

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
CallMeMud said:
Answer - Who cares, the trucking company just bought themselves a bridge.

Naa, the answer is, who cares what's going on when you on your cell phone (or drunk)...

What bothers me, is that I doubt they'll pay a dime in damages, and tax payers will pick up the tab.....

I70/ I75, are constantly closed around here for wrecks, and you never hear of the bozos that close the Freeways for hours getting any fines, other then something like a loose load...

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually (the smart ones) have a lead car that has a pole sticking up off of it set to a height that exceeds what they are trying to move that goes ahead a mile or so to prevent this thing from happening. This one doesn't look like he had that going for him and someone didn't map out bridge heights.

The trucker's insurance will pay for it. I work with a trucking company here often and he tells me stories.... he got stuck once under an overpass. He pays unreal amounts of insurance and if you have an accident like this you might as well hang it up!

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luckily nobody was on that bridge when it started coming through :eek!:

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
Naa, the answer is, who cares what's going on when you on your cell phone (or drunk)...

What bothers me, is that I doubt they'll pay a dime in damages, and tax payers will pick up the tab.....

I70/ I75, are constantly closed around here for wrecks, and you never hear of the bozos that close the Freeways for hours getting any fines, other then something like a loose load...
Being a TRUE professional driver of 34 years and over 4 million accident free miles I will ask you once politely not to generalize a majority of safe, competent individuals into a group of drunk cell phone waving bozo's. Furthermore you probably never hear about the idiot who cut them off, caused a wreck and then continued their merry way. You really believe "they" won't have to pay any damages??????

·
Registered
48 Posts
holy [email protected]^& that must have been some site, watching it unfold. Hopefully nobody got hurt... :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.