Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my stock timing chain (162,000) with a comp cams true roller chain and have a few questions. 1) do I still need to use the timing chain tensioner? 2) While I am in that far I am also replacing the cam (comp cc67234-4) the lifters, pushrods and valve springs and upgrading to a high volume front cover, does anyone have experience with this cam? Also I am thinking about purchasing a 200 amp alternator, would this still require the use of a volt booster to maintain adequate voltage to a larger fuel pump I.E. walbor 340. Any tips or advice would be appreciated

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I would not put parts listed in a 162,000 motor.
I would tear it down and do all required machine work needed for rings,all bearings and any hard parts needed. No a volt booster would not be needed if your fuel pump is hotwired.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Agreed...If you cannot afford to do the engine at the moment..just do the timing chain and use a single roller that is not prone to stretch like the double roller will shortly be banging on the cover if you are really unlucky.

If you insist on using a double roller, do NOT use the tensioner. It will be chewed to pieces by the double roller.

Don't change the cam unless you have a bad lobe. If you have a bad lobe, you probably have metal circulating thru the engine and oil cooler and you can expect a rebuild shortly anyway...

Over the years, more and more of us disbelieve in the high volume front covers. They tend to put pressure on the front cam bearings and create premature wear and loss of oil pressure.

Use a standard cover and use one of the rebuild kits with a steel plate. If you use a new cover, be sure there is no casting flash blocking the passages. That way you want have to take it off again when you are unable to prime the engine. :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I would purchase a $12 dynagear timing set and replace only that. Pull the oil pan and clean the nylon teeth out of the oil pickup screen. Skip the high volume pump, cam, pushrods, lifters ect, as this will probably decrease performance anyway and cause you to 'break in' the cam and all that nonsense. While you have the front cover off, install the upgraded cam button from GM.

Hate to see someone tear into something and ruin a good thing. Trust the guys on the board giving you advice, as they have been down the road and most of us will agree if it ain't broke don't fix it.
powersix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts