Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so here i am again, hat in hand and praying for help!

I had an extreme rough idle and yet car still performed well at WOT- took 84 GN to a respected GM dealer in a town close to Ottawa, Canada, with a shop foreman who has a great reputation (built a very cool rat rod).

Car diagnosed with a need to replace 29 year old injectors and 29 year old IAC motor.

OK that done and now the car has a misfire (I believe). Idle is better. Car sounds like it is running on four or five cylinders and car shakes from 0-130 kph. If you drive gently the shake/shudder/misfire is most prominent around 75kph when she drops down into overdrive and labours when getting up to speed.

Dealership seems to be at a loss to figure this out and I am frankly getting very discouraged. Car is back in my hands for two weeks before it goes back to the dealer.

Your thoughts and suggestion will be most appreciated.
:dunno:

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Phil...post your problem on TB.COM in the hot air section. They'll figure it out. Just out of curiosity...did they install the same size injectors? There's a number on the side of them. If they aren't the same size injectors...then you'll need a chip burned for them. Don't drive the car until you verify they're the same size as the stockers. The chart is below.

Stan Weiss' - Electronic Fuel Injector (EFI) Flow Data Table

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'd check to make sure the spark plug wires are connected to the proper plug in the correct order. Who knows? Maybe they had the wires off for some strange reason & put them on incorrectly to give you a custom firing order. Also be sure the plug boots & plug leads are pushed on & fully seated on the plugs & in coil pack too......Maybe the wire set is shorting out causing a misfire?
Dunno?

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Dave,

I'd do as mentioned above by both Brad and Dave but I would also pull some spark plugs and see what they look like.

Do you have a scan tool for your car, if so post some of the readings you are getting.

Good luck and keep us posted,

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts guys. The dealer claims to have bought stock replacement injectors for an 84. The claim to have checked coil pac and wires and all are A OK.

They pulled the plugs and one was fouled - changed all plugs. Now that car is with me I am going to inspect them myself.

I have posted the same distress call on TB.com

Gotta be something simple as the problem was not there before the new injectors and is there now - only thing changed is the new injectors!!!:cheers:

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Check the inj plugs. Make sure they are on the right inj.
Also, w/ engine idling, shoot some WD40 around the base of the injs at the manifold...Engine change tune? [O'ring messed up]

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
They pulled the plugs and one was fouled - changed all plugs. Now that car is with me I am going to inspect them myself.

Gotta be something simple as the problem was not there before the new injectors and is there now - only thing changed is the new injectors!!!:cheers:
How could ONE plug be fouled??? Shouldn't it be 2 plugs that are fouled? Again, check the plugs and check the wires to the plugs.

Good luck,

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost at the end of the story

I got so @#$%^& frustrated with the dealership that I called an old friend and begged for help. He is a 32 year GM tech who ended his career as a drive-ability guy. We checked all electronics including the resistance across all of the injectors that the dealership said were bad (they were not) and focused upon cyl #1 which the dealership said had a bad plug (which it did not).
Finally, visual check on injector plug showed that the plastic was broken and the metal clip was not seated properly on injector 1. Tie wrapped it down and problem solved. tried to get some relief from dealer on labour - offered a nominal credit for use at dealership.

Now trying to find out book time/flat rate times sanctioned by GM to change injectors and to change spark plugs (both of which they did).

Bottom line - it is great to be driving trouble free at WOT.:cheers:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Final steps

Letter sent to Vic Bennett on Friday asking him to reconsider offer of compensation. If no go then it is on to Kevin Williams at GM, BBB, thepubliccitizen and social media to hopefully steer other unsuspecting GM customers away from Bennett's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.