Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 daily driver TR has developed a serious miss in it's engine performance which started today. Car feels like it is hitting on 4-5 cylinders and doesn't appear to build boost. It was running fine prior to my replacing the plugs with proper gapped AC 43's. The only other thing I did was to clean and oil all of the filters including the two at the valve covers and the large conical one for the cold air package. I don't drive the car hard and haven't gotten into it since the repair I did this past weekend. Can't see anything obvious like a loose or burnt plug wire at plug or coil pack and all plugs are tight. When accelerator is applied 3/4 or full, car will pop and hesitate running roughly. Y boost lines appear intact and connected at all points. I need some guidance at this stage to help me accurately diagnose the problem and not have to take to a mechanic. I don't have TL here with me so I can't hook that up and look at any data to share. No service engine lights codes though. What next to check? Coil pack? It has the Type II with the (3) individual units but I still have the old coil. Really hoping some of you can point me in the right direction to fix this problem. Anyone??? Many thanks!

Evans Ward
Macon, GA
87 Turbo-T
70 GS455

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Evans, you only come in here when you got a problem! Bring us some good news for a change!

Number one cause of your symptoms are a pair of mislocated plug wires. Got a couple hooked to the wrong plugs.

Number two cause is a a cracked plug insulator, usually #6

Number three cause is a plug wire not snapped on correctly or a bad terminal caused by the clip pulling apart as you removed it from the old plug.

Go out and read the number on the coil pack and follow the wire to the plug to be sure it is going to the right cylinder.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve- you crack me up! You're right- I should frequent more often and not step in just when I have a problem! And you said to bring you some good news so I will- gonna be a Daddy again at 42 yrs of age- how about that? We're pretty excited especially since I'll be a full time Dad again as my other two sons were yanked away years ago. Thanks for the tips- I'll go check the coil to see if I crossed any wires. And I promise I'll try and be more cordial and not just step in for the great technical help- but then again-I look to you guys as the experts! Hope I can figure this one out or I'll be pressed to put the old GS455 torque monger (gas guzzler) into service. Later...

Evans Ward
Macon, GA
87 Turbo-T
70 GS455

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Hey, That is great news! Though I had inherited a daughter, my son was born when I was 41.

On the way back from traffic court with him this morning, he volunteered that he had beaten a Viper and a Porsche that kids had unwisely driven to school last year. See what you have to look forward to? thank goodness my car is still faster than his. *g* One thing about it....keeps you young even when the bones ache....

Bout one out of three times I change plugs, I cross two wires no matter how hard I concentrate on getting them hooked up right....hopefully that is your problem.

It's either easy to do or I am almost as dumb as Zap!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
He he kids in your FORTIES! You sir are WAY dumber than Zap.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Best thing that ever happened to me! Prepared me for dealing with Zap

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update (in best Robert Stack voice, you young bucks may not remember him or the show he narrated back in the 80's)... problem resolved as that #6 plug boot wasn't connecting good due to me putting on a set of those TTA plug boot heat shields- heat shields removed, boot reconnected, and car again runs like a wild dog!

Preciate the kind words Steve about the joys of fatherhood in later life! I know it will be a challenge- have many things keeping me young in mind, body, and heart including my wonderful 35 yr old wife!

Evans Ward
Macon, GA
87 Turbo-T
70 GS455

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Glad you found the problem, Evans!

My son! He thinks my insurance is too cheap.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
12 O'clock High..... loved that show!!!!

Hate kids though.

You wanna play you gotta pay

The Untouchables wasn't bad either....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts