Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**I have a Griffin aluminum radiator.**
I remember talk that the stock oil cooler can not be flushed but I have read that some aftermarket coolers (Perma-Cool) say they are flushable.
I spun #1 and need to do something with the cooler.I was just going to put a external cooler on the car but if I can flush it and save some $$$ ???....
what about an inline filter(a remote filter mount,for example) would this restrict the flow too much? (I know I am reaching now!!)

If I have to I will contact Griffin(but I would rather not)

Thank you for any thoughts!
Chris

------------------
Original owner
PTE 44,THDP,868's,port matched heads/intake,ported stock intercooler,14in K&N,every thing else stock!!
Best 1/8 7.87 @87.4 mph with Pep Boy Tires and 2nd slipping!!!!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
risky business trying to flush one. You can have a new one put in or use an external one.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
run with out one??
my car is not a daily driver anymore but I drive 1.25 hrs to the track...more info please...

anyone recommend an external cooler(that will not break the bank)??

On a positive note,I went to the junk yard Thursday and got two 4.1l 4bbl eng....one had a perfect crank in it!!!! the other was rebuilt (so no 'turbo' crank) but it had new rocker shafts,great heads (8448)and many other parts....(Plus the first is a 83,6484 block....build up time???????)
Thanks for the info!
Chris

------------------
Original owner
PTE 44,THDP,868's,port matched heads/intake,ported stock intercooler,14in K&N,every thing else stock!!
Best 1/8 7.87 @87.4 mph with Pep Boy Tires and 2nd slipping!!!!
Eng and trany apart...will be back soon!!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
On a positive note,I went to the junk yard Thursday and got two 4.1l 4bbl eng....one had a perfect crank in it!!!! the other was rebuilt (so no 'turbo' crank) but it had new rocker shafts,great heads (8448)and many other parts....(Plus the first is a 83,6484 block....build up time???????)
Thanks for the info!
Did you know that the CR of the 4.1's are 8:1 ?? Seems strange for a N/A motor of the 80's. I just realized this tonight. Maybe someone with too much time on their hands can buy a 4.1 from a junk yard, just check the bearings, slap the 3.8 intake on and the rest of the GN goodies, and run it!

Why wouldn't this work??

Ok, so maybe you would have to change the cam and install a new timing set, but hey, this would be a great experiment. Any takers??

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.