Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the horrible of crossing my battery cables. Connected the neg. wire on pos. post and pos. wire on neg. post
this happened while the key in side the car was turned. I replaced all the fuses in the fuse box and the motor turns but wont fire up. Are there any fuse boxes
in the car other that the one under the dash driver side? And where are the fusable links located? I know theres on on the battery. I replaced that one but still no luck. HELP!!! Thanks a bunch..
:dunno::D

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Fuse links are at the starter end of the main harness.
Reverse polarity to the ECM may have taken it out. Does the check engine lite come on w/ the key turned to run?
Fuel pump prime?
Fire at the plugs when cranking?
Voltage at the batt is?
Lights, radio,gauges work?
You have a spare coilpak/module?

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
This might be ugly here. Need to check the ECM, alternator, and basically anything electronic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radio (stock) turns on but im getting no sound what so ever out of the speakers.. all lights in and out turn working.. no check engine light all gauges work.. but scan master reads 2.1 retard and shuts off.. not getting the ----------- across it as it usually does.. cant check boots for spark till i get the battery back from autozone killed it trying to fire the car.. fuel pump in perfect working order.. dont know the voltage due to failing scanmaster.. but it should be good when it gets back fully charged.. dont have an extra coil-module lying around so im hoping i have spark.. im just hoping its a fuse or fuseable link somewhere obscure.. havent checked the ECM yet.. any diagnosis on the radio old buzzard? thanks for the help by the way..

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
You Fried the ECM! Dont ask how I learned that! :rant:

Did the Horn make a funny sound when you crossed the wires? With Key On mine did & it was only a couple seconds but ECM was Toast! Good thing is used spares are around for under $100 to your door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my horn doesnt work so i didnt hear anything.. thre was just a sick spark on the battery when it happened.. how can i test my ecm to make sure thats the diagnosis? does my description of the problem sound EXACTLY like what happened when you did it?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
my horn doesnt work so i didnt hear anything.. thre was just a sick spark on the battery when it happened.. how can i test my ecm to make sure thats the diagnosis? does my description of the problem sound EXACTLY like what happened when you did it?
It was many years ago but the horn made a funky beep sound with key on. Then it was a mess & with the new ECM it worked fine again. Nothing else was wrong with the car including fusible links, so I cant say Exactly like yours but odds are pretty good of it being the ECM & for the $100 or less (you can post in parts for sale section to get one) it never hurts to have a spare. Maybe someone close can loan you one?
You should post your Location anyways so people know where your from & the guys like to know where people are located. Some wont even respond when you dont post a location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spark in all six boots..New ECM.. Car started right up.. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only problem left is the radio... turns on but still no sound.. any advise??

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Maybe you fried the speakers or a fuse inside the unit but I'm no radio expert?
I knew the ECM would be fried. Live & learn as they say!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts