Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having a little problem with my gn but it is intermittent which is driving me nuts. Its feels to me like it losing all power to the ECM. It usually happens on the highway but is starting to happen more frequently in the city too. I will be driving under very light acceleration and the SES light will flash and the motor cuts out, all my lights and radio and everything else stay on. It is very quick and the car doesn't stall but it has backfired before. It has happened in the city where the car will stall if im going slow enough and happened going into a turn once so I need to get this fixed asap. I know the car has a remanufactured gm ECM because I saw the sticker on it when I put in my tt chip. The haness
Going to ECM is tight and my battery connections appear to be fine. Any suggestions where to start looking? I'm trying to avoid throwing parts at it cuz I'm too broke. I'm leaning toward bad ECM or maybe something with the coil packs?? One other thing I noticed was a few times my stock tach went up to redline while I was mainting consistent throttle and I felt a loss of power it later about a second and I think this may be related toy above stated problem. One last thing I should have put at the top is these little fits of the ses light flashing usually happen like it will flash 4 or 5 times in a few seconds and then be fine for an hour. Last weekend coming home from the cottage it was getting so bad I was about to pull over but then it was fine for the rest of the drive home.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Check the battery cable to the starter...and the fusible links off the starter to be sure they are not touching a hot exhaust pipe and shorting out for a second.

Also check the the orange ecm memory wire coming off the battery...it has a fusible link in it....pull on it a bit to make sure it does not come apart

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No mal code on scanmaster I think Steve might be on to something there with those fusible links above the starter because the high speed doesn't work on my blower motor. The other mentioned wires are good. It looks like you have to drop the starter to get to these fusible links??

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
I'd pull the starter to get a real good look at 'em. It's entirely possible one of the wires are loose on the starter.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
see my site under "How To's" for the blower high speed fix

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great write-up thanks steve, im looking forward to having my high speed fan now and i will keep you guys posted on what the other wires look like and if it solves my problem.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
usually it is the connector mentioned in paragraph 6

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Also, check the neg cable under the turbo. Tight and clean?

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a wire was touching the exhaust and shorting out so I moved and my problem hasnt happened since but i haven't adropped the starter the address the other problems I think it would be easier to do it on a hoist than in my driveway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts