Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to start the car and just got a clicking/clacking sound from the starter. It does the same thing over and over again, when I turn the ignition key.

Bad ground connection somewhere or a short in the starter.

Here's what I've done:
Checked the battery with a voltmeter..was OK. Could a battery read 13.7 and have a bad cell? I tried another battery in series...same results.

Checked the battery connections at the battery and at the starter. Everything was tight.

Turned the engine over (by Hand) thinking that the starter might be stuck in the flywheel...same results when I turned the key...clacking/clicking.

I put this starter in about 6 months ago...still under warranty.

A couple of times, when I've turned the key on, the dash board doesn't light at all. Then a few tries later, it goes on. Bad ground somewhere?

My horn wouldn't honk the first time I tried it today. I turned the ignition on and off a couple of times, then everything worked; not the starter.

The radio works but the Air Conditioning fan, at full speed, doesn't blow air from the vents.

My fuel pump energizes...no problem!

I tried tapping the solenoid while the key was being turned...nothing.

The grounds on the firewall look good. Is it visually possible to see the grounds on the back of the pass. side head? Couldn't see anything from the bottom.

Ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The clicking is probally the selonid (sp)pullin in then dropping out. I think the starter motor has the problem, could be a bad brush. I would pull the starter and have it tested.

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
definitely sounds like a solenoid as far as not starting but the dash and horn stuff sounds like either a wiring problem in the column or the ignition switch itself (not the lock and tumbler).

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with the other posts, check the starter.

But to answer your question on could a dead cell in the battery read good voltage and do something like the problem your having, Yes
it can. The only way to check the battery is to take it in and have a full load test run on it.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
put a voltmeter across the battery and hit the key to start it...if the voltage drops way down...then it sounds like the battery and it should be load tested. If the solenoid clicks but the voltage only drops a volt, then it sounds like the starter.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I decided to pull it out.

Here's a TIP for y'all.

Please double check new parts! I didn't check the starter carefully before installing and guess what? The nut on post that the factory had installed was FINGER TIGHT. Can you say major SHORT?

Man I feel dumb,'cause I usually check things out a couple of times before installing. The other two nuts that I had tightened and put my goop on were tight.

I tested it out of the car and it runs fine!

The nice thing about these mini starters is that they are real easy to pull. I don't think I even needed to pull the flywheel cover. You don't have to pull the crossover either. (Somehow, I lucked out and didn't have to pull the Xover to remove the monster ORIGINAL). I spoke to a friend yesterday, who had his original starter fall on his face. He got cut up pretty badly. Make sure you keep your face away from directly under it.

It's like a shot put ball, dense, awkward and heavy as hell...please...no Zap jokes!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Zap:
You like me, you really like me!
Not to make you feel UNLIKED, UNAPPRECIATED, AND UNLOVED...BUT...quite frankly... Sally would have to take FIRST place in my heart of hearts! But in a positive way...in my book, you beat out Rush Limbaugh! If you HEAR what I say!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, he's in if I ever have a say so.

If you can cook at all...you've got the other role.

I'd like to Direct you two and call it "The Odd Couple ll."

See how "Hollywood" I can be? I can "rip off" with the best of them.

Now all I have to do is have my son produce and hire me to film all of my projects.

Oops! I just got word that I will have to use a different title. The money men want me to be in the pilot (they needed someone with a beard). I think I've sold them on the title, "Three Old Farts."

We don't have to be old or fart, we just have to have an "ol'farty" attitude.

Well,I'm in, but of course, I can't speak for the other two "main" characters.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Don't forget BFH, he can be the Kramer-like neighbor that lives in the basement dungeon.

Prolly steal your show though....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cappy i had the same problem with my gn, boy that was a pain in the ass to figure out. i had also just got a new starter as well. turns out all i had to do was get another starter. When it got ot it would not crank at all. works fine since i put the new starter in.

------------------

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gnxcrazi- Yeah, this time a put thread locker on all the nuts.

salvageV6-BFH in the basement dungeon...that works! But you'll have to be the KEEPER and throw him raw meat, veggies and whatever! I like it...I really, really like it!

Gotta go watch football!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I like the Rams but of course can't watch them play or they'll lose.

Looks good so far.

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
Also for future reference you can check the battery cells with a hydrometer. if you get more than .05 differnce between 2 cells. problem. example 5 cells 1.200 6th cell 1.150=bad cell

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts