Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad found a Westburg EGT gauge in his hanger, its off an airplane. It has a range from 700 to 1700. All I need to do is buy a 28 dollar probe that fits in an 1/8 inch hole witch I assume would go in the downpipe. Would this work for my car?

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For 28 bucks I think its worth a try. I dont trust the O2 readings.

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
I am using the Westberg EGT setup. No complains at all. Go the extra step and remove the turbo and stuff a rag into the header below the point that hole will be drilled. Don't want any shavings being blown back into the turbo. Before you order the probe, determine where the guage will go and how you will route the wiring and measure the distance to be sure you get enough wiring with it.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It Just has two wires coming out of the gauge. I think I can route the wires down the passenger valve cover.

So would the probe be better located in the downpipe or exaust manifold?

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Habitual Line Stepper
401 Posts
i've got a couple of old o2 sensors lying around,i'm thinking about chopping one up to make an adapter for an egt probe.i figure i can hack the ends off,drill it out to the right size and tap it to whatever size compression fitting i use(1/8 or 1/4 npt).

yes,i am using a maxeffort

anyone ever done that?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Depending on your probe you might be able to get a threaded sleeve to make up the difference between the O2 and the EGT Probe.

I was planning on doing this....hmmm... but come to think of it I never checked what the threads are on an O2? Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts

That is a pic of the Westach pin-style probe and how it gets installed. Note the position relative to the O2 bung. The probe comes with the wires in a steel-braided jacket (nice) but I believe it is only 48" long. The wires have female connectors to extend them, so if the gauge has male ends, you are all set.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't trust anything other than the Westach EGT gauge and probe. I also use their boost gauge (after years of exaspiration over horribly calibrated gauges).
The Westach line after all is first and formost for the aviation industry and accurate calibration is a matter of routine for them.

Here's what mine looks like:
EGT mount

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN[email protected](MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
Pictures of my toys

[This message has been edited by TurboDave (edited December 14, 2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you drill and tap the holes with the engine running, the chips fl out due to exhaust backpressure.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
I believe that the threads on the o2 are the same as sparkplug threads?

Don't know if that helps anyone make an adapter or not.
Correct.. I used a 14mm spark plug thread chaser many times to clean up the O2 threads

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by TurboDave:
Personally, I wouldn't trust anything other than the Westach EGT gauge and probe.
I dare to say that a K-Type thermocouple and a Fluke 80TK with a simple Volt-Meter is every bit as accurate if not more accurate than any automotive style gauge and with a full scale that is much broader. Just as simple and cheap to hook up. I'm welding a Bung for the thermocouple on my header, and plugging the old O2 hole.

I wonder if a spark plug in the O2 hole would heat up my EGT more and help spool the turbo?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts