Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing a Max Effort this weekend and have a question about ECM wiring. The Max Effort requires a Key-on, A/C-On condition to facilitate programming. My car is not a Buick and does not have a/c. If I access the correct pinout on the ECM, will grounding it similiar to the TCC lockup trigger an a/c-on condition? If yes, this will allow me to install a simple switch. If no, please advise what needs to be done to trigger that condition.

TIA

ps, Casper's was my first choice for an answer but John is out of the office until next week.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
According to my manual the AC on condition is a +12 volt signal into the ECM which has a pull up resistor to ground internally. I believe the switch would have to simulate this condition. Most of the A/C switched lines are positive 12 volts not ground switching. Good luck. Glad you asked the question since my charge is low right now and the A/C cycling switch is open which will not allow the +12 to go to the ECM so I couldn't program one of those chips, that I have on order, either. I'll let you know more on how this signal works when mine shows up.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Well, if you have the A/C system intact, and your charge is low, you need to jumper the pressure switch at the condenser. That is what I had to do, since me freon decided to take a vacation.

Oh, ya... don't forget to unplug the compressor so you don't fry it..

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Yes that would work and is a good option, or I could recharge it, or put in a by-pass program switch to tie into the ECM line and allow for pushbutton programming on that line. Not really worth recharging in the winter since that's when it leaks out (costly). Luckily it stays in there all summer which is fine for here in CT.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Just pull the connector off the can and jump it as Mike suggested above.

Not sure how to fool it with no a/c...ask Steve Y if he knows or can advise. It should run quite well on the defaults. My experience is the main change is usually leaning down the cruise mixture to somewhere around 112 or so....

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Hmmm, that's the only thing wrong with my extender chip right now, fat rich 105-114 cruise blm's. Idle and WOT are fine. Well at least Steves chip is easily adjustable, and on order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts