Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car can run 14lbs of boost with no knock right now. With the mods listed below how many more pounds of boost will I be able to achieve with 93 octane gas?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Should be able to do 20psi.
I ran without alky for a while and 15psi feels slow motion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree 14lbs is way to slow. I am not sure but the car seems to fall on its face a little in second gear but boost holds steady and no knock is present. I am not sure if I have the fuel pressure to high or to low. I have seen a code 45 show up on a scan tool in the past week. Any suggestions? I usually run 93 octane and can get 12lbs of boost with no knock but that is the limit. I have Cam 2 110 mixed with 93 right now that is why I was able to turn it up a bit.

I plan on adding an alky kit this winter but want to make sure my car is running correctly before adding more power.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The race gas will get the 02 sensor.
I would suggest an Eric Stage I or a Thrasher chip if you are using the stock injectors.
My car did not the Red chip.
Eric could burn you a chip now and then when you went to alky he could upgrade it.

·
BUICK LOVER
1,159 Posts
You could easily run 20-22 #s of boost when you install alcohol injection. First time I went to the track after installing alky, I knocked .5 off my ETs. Running a TE44 now, I can run 24#s of boost easily with no knock.

I noticed you mentioned DIY alky. That IS the way to go unless you want to spend a bunch of money, unnecessarily. My kit only cost me $150 when I installed it. For $150, what are you waiting for? Start getting the components together. Because I spent only $150 doesn't mean I have some cheap quality or unsophisticated looking system. Actually, it really isn't noticeable. You can't get a better alky pump than the Shurflo #2687. I've been running mine for over three years and the kit has never failed. The pump costs a BIG $60.

In case you haven't been to this site, check it out......

http://home.att.net/~stevemon/AlcoholInjMod.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Regal T, I am going to install the DYI System from the link you listed. The price is perfect and from what I have read it is durable, reliable, and very effective. The problem with not getting it started right now is my wife is currently using her lifetime guaranteed no knock triple quad flow super heavy-duty industrial strength nitro X pump to suck all the money out of my wallet. Her pump has never broke down, does not require any lubricant, does not require permission, and does not become affected by weather. The more money I make the more she turns up her pump. I wish they would make those kind of parts for the Turbo Regals.

<small>[ August 14, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: kuku ]</small>

·
BUICK LOVER
1,159 Posts
kuku:
The problem with not getting it started right now is my wife is currently using her lifetime guaranteed no knock triple quad flow super heavy-duty industrial strength nitro X pump to suck all the money out of my wallet. Her pump has never broke down, does not require any lubricant, does require permission, and does not become affected by weather. The more money I make the more she turns up her pump.
I can appreciate your problem. yup Patience is a virtue. silly

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regal T, I sent you an email about the 87 ECM's you have. Are they still available?

·
Registered
230 Posts
They do make those kind of parts. they are called
don't tell the wife when you buy parts and beat
her to the ups/mailman and when she ask reply
that's an old part i had. :D

·
Convert
135 Posts
I read a lot about alcohol injection and understand it cools the air off via H2O and the alcohol absorbing the heat as it expands in the up pipe. Has anyone done a comparison between the injection system and a front mount IC?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Most of the cooling effect comes in the combustion chamber when the the charge goes to steam and removes heat from the chamber.

A front mount cools the air coming out of the turbo and may allow a bit more boost to be run as compared to the stock location. A larger benefit may be that the restriction is much lower than the stock ic and the turbo actually runs a couple of pounds lower boost to provide an equivalent boost in the plenum which means the turbo heated the air less to begin with.

Alky is a means of chemical cooling. You will always be able to run more boost with alky than with either form of conventional ic.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Convert
135 Posts
Thanks Steve...You're a wealth of info here. :)
Now there's something else for me to get for DVette...I'll never finish this... frown

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
BUICK LOVER
1,159 Posts
Hey, a turbocharged 60 Corvette........what a great project. yup Steve, your absolutely right about best bang for the buck. I remember when I first put on my $150 DIY kit. Went to the track the same week and knocked .5 off my 1/4 mile times. How else ya gonna do that for $150..... usa

·
Convert
135 Posts
Yup...a great project help Talk about a money pit!!! but it keeps me off the street.....For now wink

1 - 15 of 15 Posts