Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there really any realistic gains with these dump pipes? What's the consensus?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Short answer: NO.
Long answer: Depends on your exhaust and how restrictive it really is.

If you have a Hooker kit (2.5" pipes) with straight through mufflers then opening the dump isn't going to give you much (if any).

If you have some restrictive mufflers or crummy exhaust system, then opening the dump will bypass all that and some gains may be seen.

Of course every car is different and expiriences may vary.

Opening the dump on my car always accomplished nothing, just temporary deafness.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Another NO

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just what I thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not too be difficult but, I would tend to think opening the dp would result in some sort of gain, theres alot less piping to go thru this way.
havent actually tested this theory but hope to remember come this spring, and will post results,
unless one of the lucky ones who live near a year open track can try it out???

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The normal dump opening is a side outlet. When you pull the cap off, an insignificant amount of flow is diverted and most takes the straight route past the opening rather than exiting. If there is a large amount of back pressure in the exhaust system down stream, some may back out the side door, so to speak.

There is a so called Jersey version of the pipe where the cap is in the straight line and the exhaust is more in the diversion path. This should work, except that most of our exhausts are quite free flowing and little benefit is often noted when dropping the exhaust all together.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I told you those potatos were good mufflers but bad for performance!

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i got the ultra flows are they good? as far as being less restrictive?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
excellent as pointed out above

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a hooker 2.5 with dynomaxx mufflers. I think thats the best way to go for a street car. I disconnected my exhaust to see if there was a difference. All I got was turbo lag at midrange. It wasn't even consistant and didn't happen everytime. But I was tooling down the road at 40 and a beater Trans-Am came up and I floored it and sat there. I heard my engine go but had major turbo lag, evntually I passed him. But was embarrassed for a momment. I went home and bolted my exaust back on immediatly. It sounds mean! But I'd rather be fast

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

Something else was wrong. With a turbo car, the less the backpressure, the quicker the spool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts