Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna change the oil tomorrow for the first time--not sure how many qts I will need? Don't have the owners manual. Engine was bored .030 and I believe the owner said the filter was a bit bigger than standard. Was going to use Mobil 1 Synthetic...is this okay for these cars? Seems okay in my other vehiles.

Probably one of many 'dumb' posts

Thanks!
--Ryan
86 GN--And lots to learn :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the bigger oil filter youll need 5.400 oil.Ask jack cotton what kind of oil he uses in his 8 sec nash and hell tell you....the cheapest oil thats on sale,yes even pep boys.But he only races that thing so i dont know about daily driving.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
1FastGN:
Gonna change the oil tomorrow for the first time--not sure how many qts I will need? Don't have the owners manual. Engine was bored .030 and I believe the owner said the filter was a bit bigger than standard. Was going to use Mobil 1 Synthetic...is this okay for these cars? Seems okay in my other vehicles.

Probably one of many 'dumb' posts

Thanks!

--Ryan
86 GN--And lots to learn :)
How many miles since the rebuild?

<small>[ October 25, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: The Radius Kid ]</small>

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you don't have that many miles on the rebuild you might want to stick to go old dino oil until you break that engine in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rebuild has about 20K miles on it, so it should be okay.
Thanks for the heads up though!!

BTW-Do all these cars leak a bit of oil??

--Ryan

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
They shouldn't.Where's yours leaking? angrymou

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
The Radius Kid:
They shouldn't.Where's yours leaking? angrymou
What do ya mean they shouldn't? I thought if a turbo Regal didn't leak oil it's cause there's none in it... canada

Of all the TR's I've worked on over the years there's only one that actually doesn't leak.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Probably because the seal fits weren't prepped properly.
20,000 miles and the things leaking?
Shouldn't be. frown

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I can put clean laundry under my cars and I would never worry about oil dripping on them, it's that dry! Whoever says they are supposed to leak just doesn't know any better!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Okay you guys made me feel awful :D Mine leaks between the booster plate and the HV plate and the TC cover,the exhaust seal on the turbo and drain(it's under warrantee and is going back).

Can we have a how to seal your TR seminar :)

<small>[ October 26, 2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Steve V ]</small>

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Orlando_87GN:
I can put clean laundry under my cars and I would never worry about oil dripping on them, it's that dry! Whoever says they are supposed to leak just doesn't know any better!
Don't let your mother see you do that :cool: I have no leaks either. Common spots to check: rear main seal, valve covers and breathers, oil cooler "O" rings and turbo flex return line. There are many "big" oil filters used so the amount of oil may vary. Put 5 1/2 qts in then run it. Recheck and add if needed. Also don't use Fram filters. They are sh!t and the drainback valves don't work... Mobil 1 oil is fine.

<small>[ October 26, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: ULYCYC ]</small>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news...No leaks. Changed the oil, drove it about 120 miles and no leaks this morning!!

Ryan
86 GN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts