Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to drop the front end of my car 1" to 1.5"
I want to do this via coil spring to stiffen up my ride as well. I've seen the eibach springs sold in a set of 4. What other options are out there that you guys have tried and can I just get front springs and not the rears right now. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a set of "used for a month" Bell-Tech 2" Drop spindles. I had to take them off cause my springs were not stiff enough. It handles like a million Bucks. I would get the Eibach springs. You don't wanna just lower the front. You weight transfer will deteriorate. The cars look better dropped all the way around. With the Eibachs you are still lower in the front. Also, Hotchkins offers springs as well. I think they are a 1 3/4 drop though. Research the hell outta it. So you don't make the same mistake I did. If you wanna make the same mistake I did, I can sell you those Drop spindles. They are sitting in my shed. yup

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D No thanks. I pretty much ruled out drop spindals. I can't see any benefit to them over just getting a lowering coil spring. Can anyone tell me why you'd want drop spindals? Good luck selling yours though. THanks

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree that lowering the car does make it not launch as well. I run slightly smaller tires on the front and with the 28' DR on the rear makes it have a slight rake. Hard to get a jack under it now and it rides a lot stiffer because of the shocks, springs on it now. Stock front end but no SB just the big ATR SB on the rear and it corners great too. Gene

<small>[ November 01, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: ILBCNU6 ]</small>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By launch you mean you don't get the feel of the launch but performance wise it gets out of the block just as quickly. What do you mean by 28" DP? And SB? I thought I was down with the lingo but I'm blank with that. What shocks and springs are you running? Thanks for clarifying.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
He meant 28" drag radials and no sway bar on the front, I believe. :)

Dropping the nose will hurt the weight transfer slightly, but, for a street car it is probably not material.

You might go to my site and click on the Links and look at some of the springs listed on some of the G-body sites there. Much cheaper than Eibachs.

My GN has Eibachs all the way around. I think if you measure the geometery, the instant center is actually helped by dropping the front of the car a bit.

Another avenue would be to install air bags and put about 10# in each one for normal driving. I think this will give you the rake you are looking for....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah thanks steve...I'm a more knowledgeable TR owner for your replies. I already have airbags haven't checked the pressure rescently. Still however my front end sits taller than my buddies 85 GN. So with the airbags and some springs I should get what I'm looking for. I shouldn't have trouble with my steel GN wheels and some 245/60s should I? Thanks for this useful conversation all.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nathan, 245s may slightly rub at full lock, but, not much. I ran them for years. I have a brand new set that I bought several years ago mounted on the oem wheels...I decided to put on GTA wheels right after buying another set of 245s...so much for planning.

I would simply take the stock front springs and cut a 1/4 turn off each one-use a chop saw style wheel, not a torch.

Two possibilities-either the rears have sagged a bit, or someone installed a set of the GSCA springs-they jacked mine up in the front....

My car, with no air in the bags, sits about 25 1/2" in the front and 25 3/4 in the rear when measured from the ground, thru the center of the wheel, to the fender lip. That's with Eibachs which supposedly drop G-Bodies about an inch...

One the other hand, my son's T seems to be about 2" taller than my GN, so I am not sure what the deal is.

I have never compared to factory specs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to go to some GTA or other GNX look a like in 16" eventually. Your saying I will rub with 245s and the those wheels? I could always roll my fenders and put in some flares headbang

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are these springs good ones to get do they ride nice can you turn the wheel all the way and how much dose it lower the car
Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Sets

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Steve Wood
My car, with no air in the bags, sits about 25 1/2" in the front and 25 3/4 in the rear when measured from the ground, thru the center of the wheel, to the fender lip. That's with Eibachs which supposedly drop G-Bodies about an inch...
Steve,

I always thought that you should measure from the center of the the center cap to the wheel well. That way the tire size isn't being taken into affect. Do you have any measurements like this?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put Eibachs on my 86TT and measured it before and after. It dropped it 1.2" in the front and 1.1" in the back. It sits very level now. I have 245/60-15 all around and the rubbing is no different that with the stock springs. They only hit at full lock in the front. I am going to drop back to 235/60-15's though.

I interested in handling rather than drag strip performance and I really like the improvement.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have Bilstein Shocks and the Eibach lowering kit from Summit on my GN here is a link to a bunch of pictures
GN pics

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
When you lowered your car were all the sides even? Is there more room in between the wheel wells on one side than the other. Or front to back? Thanks! dunno

1 - 20 of 24 Posts