Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil pan gasket was leaking pretty badly ever since the cam breakin. I installed the pan with a cork gasket on the engine stand and I think I overtightened the bolts. Anyway, I'm 95% sure it was the pan that was leaking. So I dropped it. First of all, the pan was really stuck to the block. I never had that happen before.
Boy am I glad I dropped it. The pickup tube was cover with about a 1/4" thick glob of break in paste. Now I admit I put in on the cam pretty heavy because I was concerned about the breakin. But I felt it was okay to smear it on, because on the tube, in big letters, it said "dissolves in warm oil". So I figured great, I'm changing the oil after the breakin anyway. The car has been driven about 100 miles since the breakin, and the paste was still in the pan. Oil pressure has been normal, just like it was before the new cam and heads (80 at startup, 20+ at warm idle).
Also, there was no metal in the 1st or 2nd filter, but the pan had a very tiny amount of silver bits in it. Don't know if it is recommended to drop the pan after a cam or engine breakin, but it should be.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts