Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sitting here this afternoon thinking about the GS I own (street/strip car)
and realized it was 2007 the last time and only time I've been to the track (TMP) with it. Realizing how long it's been, I asked myself, what the hell, why haven't I got off my fat ass and taken it back.
After giving my head a shake, I realized...... IT'S TOO GOD DAMN FAR!!

Which leads me to the question, why in all honesty can we not have OR do not have a dragstrip in the GTA area.......I mean c'mon guys, I've been dreaming of one being built since I was a pimple faced teenager in the mid 70's. Maybe up in the Newmarket area, or Uxbridge. To the west, maybe Caledon, Milton, east to Oshawa, ect. I'm mean there's countless areas of possible sites and plenty of land.
What's the REAL reason........ya ya I've heard Insurance costs and the lack of "big money" sponsorship.......sorry I don't buy it. If there's money to be made the big dogs will show. Could it be that drag racing is looked "down upon" by some groups in this area. Maybe cause it's not a so-called "green" sport? :dunno: And how could this not be a money making machine? Think of the revenue this could generate........all while taking alot of the dangerous "street racing" off the streets. Put the kids at a track to have fun, be safe, build a family a atmosphere.
Looking back, I think there were some talks about building a strip in the mid 80's but, that's all it was ......talk if that. I just can't believe there isn't one yet.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Drag Strip

Was sitting here this afternoon thinking about the GS I own (street/strip car)
and realized it was 2007 the last time and only time I've been to the track (TMP) with it. Realizing how long it's been, I asked myself, what the hell, why haven't I got off my fat ass and taken it back.
After giving my head a shake, I realized...... IT'S TOO GOD DAMN FAR!!

Which leads me to the question, why in all honesty can we not have OR do not have a dragstrip in the GTA area.......I mean c'mon guys, I've been dreaming of one being built since I was a pimple faced teenager in the mid 70's. Maybe up in the Newmarket area, or Uxbridge. To the west, maybe Caledon, Milton, east to Oshawa, ect. I'm mean there's countless areas of possible sites and plenty of land.
What's the REAL reason........ya ya I've heard Insurance costs and the lack of "big money" sponsorship.......sorry I don't buy it. If there's money to be made the big dogs will show. Could it be that drag racing is looked "down upon" by some groups in this area. Maybe cause it's not a so-called "green" sport? :dunno: And how could this not be a money making machine? Think of the revenue this could generate........all while taking alot of the dangerous "street racing" off the streets. Put the kids at a track to have fun, be safe, build a family a atmosphere.
Looking back, I think there were some talks about building a strip in the mid 80's but, that's all it was ......talk if that. I just can't believe there isn't one yet.
Sorry to say :(,But there will never be a drag strip in the GTA or close bye. Who would what it in there back yard.:dunno:

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Move closer to a track...problem solved. Next question.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
track

Years ago they were talking about putting a track at Mosport 20 mins north of me and they have the land to do it, but it was just the same old thing just talk.

·
Jedi Motorsports
128 Posts
Mosport ran a couple 1/8 mile days this past summer from what I've heard they are debating putting a 1/4 mike track in

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Isn't Mosport just as far as TMP from downtown Toronto?

·
Registered
188 Posts

Attachments

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Zoning and noise bylaws; and profit - that's why.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are good old government screw ups don't know how to spend are money. Gas plant cancellations, gun registry, e- health, orange helecopter, over paid under worked morons. They won't never build a drag strip and promote getting racing off the streets but they have no problems funding a fancy art gallery. G8 summit:mad:. Wherer's my buddy Daylton:1fing:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
My friend used to drive his Shelby KR 500 there & race often from the stories he has told me over the years. Man that car would be worth some $$$ now even if it needed a restoration. He had a new Vette & traded it for the Shelby! He said not a cornering car like the Vette but Raw power was under the hood. He said it ran 12.4 after his friend adjusted his carb.

·
Jedi Motorsports
128 Posts
I did not know this.......was it advertised? Maybe they will do this again next summer :yup:
I'm not sure how much promotion the event got put a friend I used to work with brought his ventura to it said the turn out was pretty good

I'm hopeing they put a 1/4 mile track in would be nice to have something close

1 - 16 of 16 Posts