Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm looking for some feedback on what members have used to paint their headers and DP. I'm wanting to decrease some of my underhood temps. and thought jethot or similar coating would be good. My concern would be with the DP and the extreme heat it sees. Will Jethot take the extreme 1400+ temps?

There was a local member I talked to at the track last week (white '87 Turbo-T) with some new type of coating that wasn't jethot or like anything I've seen before. He said the paint was called a "thermal barrier"(or something like that) that can withstand temps of 2000+ degrees. It was a black satin paint on the DP that allowed his car to cool down quicker and run cooler. I could actually touch his DP about 12 minutes after he ran. I couldn't get close to my DP with out getting burnt. He said he's doing some testing for this company and didn't want to reveal anything until he knows it really works. This really caught my attention and wondered if any one has heard of the this paint.

Thanks,

J.J.

------------------

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jughead,

That was me you talked with on Sunday. I'm testing a new product to see if it performs as advertised. So far, the results have been positive. The paint is a thermal barrier that improves the movement of heat over the coated surface causing the part to cool quicker. It reduces what some call "heatsoak". It can withstand temps of 2,000+ degrees and is reinforced with a ceramic coating. I coated my TH DP as a test bed and have put over 300 miles and 4 trips to the track on my car. There are no signs of chipping or flaking of the coating. I have also coated 2 local members headers with similar results.

I am going to coat my new P-.63 exhaust housing this week and see how the paint holds up. The manufacturer claims reduced lag time due to the decrease in turbo temps. They have performed a few tests on turbo diesel truck applications with positive results.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results. I just don't want to say too much until I know this stuff is everything the manufacturer says it is.

Chuck M.
'87 Turbo-T

------------------

The CAR Website

1 - 2 of 2 Posts