Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a pt54 and was wondering if it would hurt me power wise to put the stock elbow on the turbo and run a 3inch stock type downpipe or should i just save my money and get a mease or someting else? i know i have to upgrade my injector size and everything since 37lb injectors wont work too well with this turbo. just wanted some opinions. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I think most tests have shown very little difference in ported exhaust housings/three inch pipes and the aftermarket one piece pipes.

TurboMike used to do a great job on the stock housings. You might drop him a note and see what he has to say.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am running a 2 3/4" downpipe with the stock elbow, ported out. The highest mph I have had this year was 116.8,so it depends how fast you want to go.
I have to run 30psi to get these speeds though, and I suspect it's the elbow and unported heads holding me back now.
I did install a larger puck in the elbow and a lot of grinding to keep the exhaust wheel from from obstructions.
I will be going to a THDP or similar this winter. headbang

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
FROST:
I am running a 2 3/4" downpipe with the stock elbow, ported out. The highest mph I have had this year was 116.8,so it depends how fast you want to go.
I have to run 30psi to get these speeds though, and I suspect it's the elbow and unported heads holding me back now.
I did install a larger puck in the elbow and a lot of grinding to keep the exhaust wheel from from obstructions.
I will be going to a THDP or similar this winter. headbang
Do the heads first,then try it out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lots of time in winter. I will be doing both, not that I don't beleive you........the racing season is too short in Canada not to. canada

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i talked to the guy i got my turbo from darkf8, good guy. he says to run a one piece down pipe and ill get the full potential out of that turbo. i read on earlier posts, about the 1 piece vs. ported stock elbow, and you guys all said that you can get good results out of a ported stock elbow. i would really like to see 11's without spending all the money for the 1 piece design. Is it possible? who can port this thing for me or can you port it yourself? sorry for the long post, just a little confused as what to do...
i saw though that ed baker is trapping some good speeds with his combo? stock elbow as well..

<small>[ August 21, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: nboost ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You can do it yourself, but, drop TurboMike a line and ask him if he is still doing them. Much cheaper....

Ed will run tens on his and Wendy will be telling him it is not as pretty! :)

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I run a ported elbow and hit 122mph trap speeds with low boost. This area will not be a problem for awhile. The PT54 needs major head work or Champions. The smallest injector I would use are 50's. Now that the high imp 57's are available I would get those. Also a 3200 or bigger converter is needed. I went up from a 3200 to a 3400-3500.
That turbo will slow you up unless you do all thats required to run it. Mine now spools like a T49 wink

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how necessary is head work when running a similar combo such as ed? would 11 sec passes be out of the question? should i change my set up completly to say a te-44 with some 009's and say like a 3000 stall? would this be more efficient? im just trying to figure out the price its going to cost me to get msd 50's, big stall, and not only ported heads now that you say but probably a nice downpipe to help everything out. would a 44 get me a easy 11 sec pass?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
guys run into the 11s on stock long blocks, TE44, blue tops, and a stock converter.

Easier with ported heads, imo, and a Duttweiller big neck will give you a couple of tenths.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you decide to get a downpipe, and you pick mease, please read the various threads about him on -both- boards first. I've been waiting on some parts since May. It should be better now that he's not going to be selling to individuals anymore, but he really needs to tie up loose ends.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts