Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the stock down pipe is made of? My engine compartment is very clean but my DP looks like crap. Can I polish it or should I paint it? Also, if I yank it, is there a gasket in between it and the turbo?

And just for kicks: What are the common 3" DPs made out of? I want to stick with the stocker for as long as possible. Maybe when the temptation to buy a bigger turbo overwhelms me, I will buy one of those aftermaket ones. Thanks in advance.

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster II, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock..except for all the stuff that doesn't last 15yrs.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, but the Gasket? Do I need to go buy one before I tear everything apart?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
NAPA auto parts have the donut gasket, also, for about $13.

Because lots of people are going for TH style down pipes, you can pick up an ATR stainless 2.5" stock replacement downpipe/test pipe for about $100 used (just post a parts wanted add here, on TB.com and on the TT) Because ATR's are stainess, they look good forever (gold metal) so buying a used one is no big deal.

Port the elbow and it will flow 98% of a THDP down into the 11's.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts