Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I've had a bad oil leak since I installed my engine. At first I thought that the oil pan was warped or bent because the oil seeped along the gasket line. Then Steve V told me he thought the GM timing cover gaskets were defective. So I got some UV dye and sure enough, it wasn't the pan it was the front cover. Well here's proof. The area outlined in red is exactly where my leak turned out to be.
You are looking at the back of the front cover.

Picture 1. GM gasket and problem area. Gasket doesn't even touch on sealed area.
Picture 2. A no-name gasket that I had. Seems to be okay.
Picture 3. The Felpro gasket. Covers the area.
Picture 4. Felpro up close.
Picture 5. Felpro under the GM gasket.
Picture 6. Same as 5 close up.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And, not only does the Felpro fit properly, it is about twice as thick.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
thats why there are 2 gaskets in engine gasket kits ....they are different :yup:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I ordered the gasket kit from the dealer, and I only got one fc gasket.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
obviouslly you don't own a gun :rolleyes: :D :sw:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Now put it back together and go enjoy your car!!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That first gasket is not the correct one, it is for a different application. The GM gasket is the only one to use. Every aftermarket front cover gasket I have seen has an "oval " hole in it whee the oil pump suction is connected to the cover. It is a fairly big restriction, put it on the block and look at it.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
EightSecV6 said:
Every aftermarket front cover gasket I have seen has an "oval " hole in it whee the oil pump suction is connected to the cover.

So is the hole in the timing cover :)

Chris, make sure to match port the gasket to the cover before you install it. There's no reason to let gasket material stickout into the oil flow when it only takes a second to clean it up.
I see you used bolts as dowels in the pics, use drill bits in the line up holes to index the gasket before you clean it up.
You'll notice the Fel-Pro gasket will hang down past the cover housing. Compare it to the gap between pan and block to see if it needs trimming too.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EightSecV6 said:
That first gasket is not the correct one, it is for a different application. The GM gasket is the only one to use. Every aftermarket front cover gasket I have seen has an "oval " hole in it whee the oil pump suction is connected to the cover. It is a fairly big restriction, put it on the block and look at it.
Thanks, I will check that. I asked the dealer for a front cover gasket. They gave me a GM front cover kit and it only had one gasket in it. Where did I go wrong? I told them it was a GN.
This was the only one I received. For me, the learning curve on this car is very, very steep. :(

Attachments

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Thanks, I will check that. I asked the dealer for a front cover gasket. They gave me a GM front cover kit and it only had one gasket in it. Where did I go wrong? I told them it was a GN.
This was the only one I received. For me, the learning curve on this car is very, very steep. :(
You didn't exactly go wrong, you just assumed that they gave you the correct part even though you specified which one you needed. NEVER assume the GM parts guy, or any other parts guy for that matter, is looking at the correct application, and not just substituting some for expedience sake.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
earlbrown said:
So is the hole in the timing cover :)

Chris, make sure to match port the gasket to the cover before you install it. There's no reason to let gasket material stickout into the oil flow when it only takes a second to clean it up.
I see you used bolts as dowels in the pics, use drill bits in the line up holes to index the gasket before you clean it up.
You'll notice the Fel-Pro gasket will hang down past the cover housing. Compare it to the gap between pan and block to see if it needs trimming too.
Thanks Earl. I will follow your instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
For me, the learning curve on this car is very, very steep. :(

But as long as you learn something, it's not that bad.

I have a feeling you'll notice gaskets that don't cover from now on!

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Russ Merritt said:
You pulled the motor out to fix the leak?
Of course! :D

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
chris can pull a motor in about 35 mins now,,,he has quick disconects on all the lines and wires...pop pop pop and 2 bolts and it is out :D

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Two things.........

1. Can somebody(Bill,Dave) provide us with a GM part number? I 'd like to use a GM gasket in a few weeks. When I chase my own oil leak issue.

2. I know the felpro is a lot thicker than GM. This affects preload on the cam(no biggie) and the lash on the Cam sensor drive. Fel pro is thicker so therefore cam sensor with have more lash and possibly more noise!!!Experts do you agree or disagree?

:D :6:

I am aware of the oil holes not lining up. I take an excato and carve it up!!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Steve V said:
Two things.........

1. Can somebody(Bill,Dave) provide us with a GM part number? I 'd like to use a GM gasket in a few weeks. When I chase my own oil leak issue.

2. I know the felpro is a lot thicker than GM. This affects preload on the cam(no biggie) and the lash on the Cam sensor drive. Fel pro is thicker so therefore cam sensor with have more lash and possibly more noise!!!Experts do you agree or disagree?

:D :6:

I am aware of the oil holes not lining up. I take an excato and carve it up!!!
After the gasket is "compressed" I don't think it makes much of a difference myself, IMHO. I am no expert but I did stay at a ....... ... :D
The GM gasket is just made better, it has raised sealing beads. etc. not just paper. I think GM knew what they were doing, stockers go over 100,000 miles.

OH, and the part number is #12337540 @ $11.19 :D just ordered a spare today, just to have around and that is the number "my" parts man ordered. :6:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Is it the gasket or the front cover at fault? I notice you aren't using a GM cover.There isn't a provision for the rope type seal. Or is this the current replacement from GM? I've always used the GM gaskets and never had a problem. That looks like the correct GM gasket. Actually the current GM gasket is a print-o-seal type. You probally wouldn't have had a problem with the stock front cover. Hard to say. I guess the lesson learned is to use the better Fel-Pro's.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
turbofish38 said:
Is it the gasket or the front cover at fault? I notice you aren't using a GM cover.There isn't a provision for the rope type seal. Or is this the current replacement from GM? I've always used the GM gaskets and never had a problem. That looks like the correct GM gasket. Actually the current GM gasket is a print-o-seal type. You probally wouldn't have had a problem with the stock front cover. Hard to say. I guess the lesson learned is to use the better Fel-Pro's. :cheers:

That is definately, without a doubt, the wrong gasket.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EightSecV6 said:
That is definately, without a doubt, the wrong gasket.
I don't disagree. But it is the one that my local Buick dealer gave me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts