Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting to do some assy. on engine after years of saving $.
Does the surface behind the cam sprocket (actually on cam) touch the front of the block when running?You can see in pics the chain is angled back if i push the cam all the way in.If i rotate engine it walks out.But doesnt the thrust button keep it pushed back? Am i missing something,engine has been apart for awhile.
Edelbrock cam and GM timing set ,both brand new.
Thanks
Mike hammer :usa:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Yup,there's something wrong there.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
hmmmm that bottom gear rusty ????? :dunno: sorry but if you have been saving for this motor then save some more $$$$ to have it done right by someone who knows what they are doin :rolleyes: :dunno:

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you look in the lifter bore, where is the center of the cam lobe in relation to the center of the lifter bore?

·
Registered
23 Posts
thats the wrong timing chain. The crank sprocket is too thick. I believe the one you have is for a FWD 3.8. Had the same problem with my cloyes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grumpy ,no rust ,some kind of coating,its just the pic.Brand new.
Nothing has changed,same block and crank.
Im doing assembly myself.

Matt ill look into that thank you.Bought chain from someone on here.ill ask him first.

Derek, ill check ,but im pretty sure its slightly to one side,not sure which side.

It has to be the chain assy.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Found the problem sort of. :dunno: :confused:
I had the cam sprocket on backwards.I didnt look at the old one ,I just put the machined surface against the cam.looks like the sprocket is slightly different than the stock one.Its hard to see in the pics but the machined side is opposite of the stock one even though the offset is the same.
Every thing else is the same and matches up perfect.(new and old gear).
Can i bolt this on with the' as cast' side against the cam?Its pretty flat and lines up fine.

Derrrrrrrrr ,guess i should add the pics.

Attachments

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I would use the new cam sprocket you have there and the original crank sprocket. Looks like the newer gold crank sprocket isn't the right one. Then again the picture you posted from the side looks almost like the crank sprocket isn't full seated on the nose of the crank. Is there a burr on the crank snout or maybe the woodruff key?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for replying orlando.
The crank sprocket actually looks excactly like the original(i know the pic sucks,thickness is the same ,dots the same.)
No burrs ,slides all the way on to a solid stop,no play.
Yeah i already fliped the cam gear ,everything looks good and lined -up now.

Thanks again
Mike Hammer
P.S. this site has me paranoid of every little thing,used to just throw it together and crank it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts