Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just finished installing my PS pump on the new engine . ended up needing a 5 rib Serpentine Belt with a Effective Length of 32.5" . got on the phone ...Napa $30.65 + tax , 2 x Toronto Jobbers $24-$35 + tax . it took me less than 43.9 seconds sitting in my pajamas having a coffee to find it for $8.79 w/free shipping in the States . the EXACT same Goodyear Gatorback belt I was quoted a price of $31.00 + tax up here on !!!!! how and why do these Canadian companys get off charging 3-4 x more ?????? is it because he have healthcare in Canada ?? :rolleyes:

Its worth stockpiling and making the drive to Niagara Falls once a month !!! its a cut n dry no brainer .

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
It's amazing how prices change once it comes across the border.
I bet the stores don't even make all that much more profit per part? :dunno:

·
blank
2,898 Posts
Quick lube place tried to sell sell me a cabin filter for $79.00
Asked the the guy if he was f'n nuts.
Rockauto $23 for the AC Delco part

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Yeah, I just lost a great source up here (I was paying ~10% over wholesale) on performance parts which was about as good as shipping up from the US (from ie. Summit).

So now it is back to getting creative and making the drive to the US... I'll need to do this for tires in the Spring.

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Where are my hands?
436 Posts
Why wouldn’t the upcharge? We are a nation of people who don’t mind paying about 65% of our salaries in tax (income, HST, property, gas tax, liquor tax, beer tax, tax on home heating)

When they know you’ll pay all that tax and not burn down gov’t buildings then all they can see is “sucker” and a chance to increase their profit tenfold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why wouldn’t the upcharge? We are a nation of people who don’t mind paying about 65% of our salaries in tax (income, HST, property, gas tax, liquor tax, beer tax, tax on home heating)

When they know you’ll pay all that tax and not burn down gov’t buildings then all they can see is “sucker” and a chance to increase their profit tenfold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya..your right . they riot in europe when goverments try to impose new taxes and fees . I just sent a email to our local MP asking for a explanation . should be interesting to see if I get a reply .

·
6,603 Posts
Tim,

A major part of the problem is: French.

For US manufacturers to sell their products here they are forced to abide by our language laws and package their products with both English and French labels, which adds to their production costs, which adds to our bottom line at the cashier.

We need to abolish our antiquated language laws and get on with the globalization of our economy.

·
blank
2,898 Posts
I bought Wagner Rotors for the other car on clearance - $13.00
Here? what? $40.00? $60.00?

Before long, the OQLF will be coming after English Canadian restaurants for not offering a French translation for "poutine."

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Tim,

A major part of the problem is: French.

For US manufacturers to sell their products here they are forced to abide by our language laws and package their products with both English and French labels, which adds to their production costs, which adds to our bottom line at the cashier.

We need to abolish our antiquated language laws and get on with the globalization of our economy.
Could not have said it better :crazy:

Kevin

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya...but that doesnt explain how you can actually buy Canadian made products and consumer goods alot cheaper in the States . lol :) and dont tell me its because they dont have to put french labeling on it . :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
ya...but that doesnt explain how you can actually buy Canadian made products and consumer goods alot cheaper in the States . lol :) and dont tell me its because they dont have to put french labeling on it . :)
Nope that is just because we are getting screwed:wink:BUT as Canadians we just accept $1.30 litre for gas and cable TV for new Canadians:rant::yup:

Kevin

·
6,603 Posts
Volume.

·
Registered
654 Posts
ripped

does not compute!
If a plant in toronto makes 1,000,000 widgets and sends 900.000 to los angeles and 100,000 to vancouver ca. why are they cheaper in los angeles.
Actually they should be the cheapest in To.

And it works the other way too.Why is something made in the US and shipped to Ca. so much cheaper in the US.

And while I'm on a rant I bought a tv in Kentucky atbest buy and saved $200
Where does that $200 dollars go in CA.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Crazy shipping charges!

Just ordered some wheel spacers for the Magnum, $24 for a pair. not a bad price however shipping is $26:crazy::crazy:
Hey Kent,

Sent you a PM.

dave

·
6,603 Posts
does not compute!
If a plant in toronto makes 1,000,000 widgets and sends 900.000 to los angeles and 100,000 to vancouver ca. why are they cheaper in los angeles.
Actually they should be the cheapest in To.

And it works the other way too.Why is something made in the US and shipped to Ca. so much cheaper in the US.

And while I'm on a rant I bought a tv in Kentucky atbest buy and saved $200
Where does that $200 dollars go in CA.
Yes, but when Company A buys 900K of something, their buying power (and corporate/logistical infrastructure) supports their base-cost being lower, thus their mark-up (and profit margin to cover a lower overhead) will be equal to Company B (who is a broke-ass Canadian company paying crazy taxes, lease fees, small scale distribution and operating without any significant incentives from the government).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts