Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to tear down my motor to line hone. I only have 3,000 miles on the new motor and I was thinking of installing a block girdle. I asked Jason if any of his customers have done this and he said yes with no problems.

I would think there would be cap deflection after milling the caps flat for the girdle fit. Jason stated that with stock caps the adv. cap deflection is .0001-.0002. That is if the cap registers are parallel with the panrail. That is hardely no distortion. I am not second guessing Jason but was wondering if anyone has installed a girdle without line honing the main bore. Any thoughts?

------------------
86 GN
87 T Yellow
87 T Silver

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
What's the recommended procedure for fitting the girdle to a new block?
The guys up here in Cambridge[Ont. Canada],recommend the caps be higher than the pan rail by .004".You also have to take a clean up skim off of the pan rails to make sure they are level and flat to the crank center line.
Bearing this in mind,I would say that trying to fit a girdle to an engine in a car,is a no-no.
If you're going to do this,I would say take the engine out and be sure it's done right.
You can't predict what kind of shape the rails are in compared to the crank C/L and could overstress the mains in the wrong way,trashing the engine.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine will be out of the car. It will be going into another car. I was going to do this on the stand. I was wondering if anyone had installed a girdle without line honing the main bore.?

------------------
86 GN
87 T Yellow
87 T Silver

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have not done this..so my opinion may be worth what you pay for it..
If you lessen the preload a bit (say .002" instead of .004", you will probably have less chance of pushing the bearing bores out of round.

I have heard of a couple of people who installed these by milling the block and caps together...which should result in no preload. I guess the question is whether the girdle still adds strength with less/no preload? I think it should...

I think I'd mill the caps, install the girdle without the crank, and get somebody with a good dial bore gauge to check the main bores for concentricity.

Good luck!

------------------

Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running
http://photos.yahoo.com/frederik32212

·
Registered
683 Posts
Jason recommends a line hone after milling the caps. At least check the bore for roundness after milling them like suggested. Jason will also mill them for a reasonable fee. Send the caps to him and follow his instructions for the install will work the best! Good Luck! Gene

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gene,
I have a mill and can mill the caps. I e-mailed Jason to see if this has been done before. He said he had a few customers that had done this with no problems. I didn't want to tear the motor down because I just got it togeather. At the time I fixed this motor I didn't think of using a block girdle. I think I will wait and use the girdle on one of the motors I have that needs rebuilding.

------------------
86 GN
87 T Yellow
87 T Silver

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done this with no problems. I sent my caps to Jason for milling. Then just use his shims to get the proper cap loading and presto. I even did it with the motor in the car originally. Not too difficult considering. I have since rebuilt the motor and did it on the stand and had the motor line honed for other reasons...

Derrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts