Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapping out fuel pump and notice there are very small pieces of rocks and other crap ont he bottom of the tank.....nothing got in there when taking out the pump (blew it off pretty good), and the car ran fine before. Strainer was clean as was the intake onthe pump. shoul di worry about this? if so, how do i get this stuff out?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I got a bad load of gas last year and they pumped sand and dirt into my tank, needless to say it clogged my fuel sock which in turn burned out my fuel pump. I dropped the tank and there was all kinds of dirt in there. I took the gas tank to a place that boils and steams them clean. Tank came back looking like new inside.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I have heard that if you fill up when then the tanker is filling the pumps then crap will get into your tank in small amounts. Maybe a few fill ups with them there & you got some gravel crud in the pump??

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Never fill up when the station os getting gas, up to 45 minutes after... or somebody doesn't like you..get a locking cap

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, noone put anything in there, its really small stuff. Im just kind of anal about the car. I should say the pump was fine and ran the car, the only reason im chaning the pupm is because the internal check valve has stopped working and doesnt hold pressure after shut-down. is there any way to clean it rather than taking it somwhere? Can i just stick clean rubber gloves on my hand and pick the stuff out?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
that is what the sock and the filter are for...change the filter, and find something important to worry about. :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its funny, just before i came back to check my mail i was looking at the sock and thinking "hell, no little pebble's gonna fit through there anyway!!!"...thanks for the reality check steve.... :rolleyes:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Usually when you find rocks and gravel in your tank its because somebody got sloppy when they changed the fuel pump. That stuff sits on top off the tank for years.It will find its way into the tank if you dont clean it off. The correct way is to clean off the tank before you pull the FP and sending unit. I think I'm the only guy who gets out the pressure washer and scrubs the outside down before I do this. You can use a shop vacuum to clean it out. Be very carefull when you do this. The arcing of the DC motor could cause the fumes to ignite. You can neutrualize it by draining as much gas as possible and than add a couple of gallons of water. Most shop vacs suck up fluids too and its real easy to get every last drop of water and dirt out doing it this way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
quit blaming the fuel pump we know you are off roading that thing LOL :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts