Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was some smack talk about the digital dash in "another area on the web somewhere
".

I will go as far as quoting what I read, speaking about the "Boost Lights" found only on the digital dash:

Those lights are basically worthless, That is why I forgot about them. They are both for boost (no tach). One usually comes on somewhere around 4psi and the other at about 8.
I felt compelled to write an email to the poor sap who started the thread
. This is what I wrote.

Keep letting the analog dash guys think the digital dash sucks. They are cursed with a totally useless and inaccurate boost/RPM gauge, so what do they know?

The (2) lights, orange and red, light up at different boost levels. The levels can even be adjusted. This is especially helpful if you race the car.

I bought a replacement switch because my original went bad. It was around $20 from the dealer. It was preset at something like 1psi and 5psi.

I set mine set up in a different manner:

The first light (Orange) comes on at 5psi. This is great for consistent launches. You don't have to watch the boost gauge when staging, just let off the brake (or T-Brake) as soon as you see the orange light, and walla, 5psi launch every time. People wonder how I get back to back 1.6x's short times. (on Nittos no less). It's called consistency.

The second light (Red) comes on at 18psi. This is my "warning light". This I have set for the "high side" of where I want the limit to be for when I am running pump gas. If I am messing around on the street, and the boost goes over the set 18psi, I will see the light and usually let out of it. Or, it serves as a reminder to check the scan master and boost gauge when going over that preset boost limit. The lights are not wimpy by any means, and they always get your attention.

The "hobbs" style switch is on the passenger fender. It's a dull silver color and has an electrical plug with a vacuum/boost port on it. If yours is unplugged, you will need to look for a wire in the passenger fender vicinity that has a small brown connector on the end. This plugs into the "hobbs" switch. There are (2) pot screws on the unit. From the factory, the pot screws have some red "glue" on them to keep them from coming out of adjustment. You will need to take some cue tips and rub acetone on the (2) screws to get all of the glue off. Once you do this, you can adjust both lights using a mityvac hand pump. With the key ON, engine OFF, you pump the "hobbs" switch up to say 5psi, and twist one of the screws until the orange light illuminates. Just do the same for the Red light and you are set. I can't remember which screw controls which light, but it's not hard to figure out.

I wish for anyone that is blessed with a digital dash, to take advantage of what it can do. I believe with exception to the "GNX" dash, the digital dash is the way to go. Get the "85 MPH" upgrade chip (hurry, b/c Caspers is not making them anymore), and you will be light years ahead of the analog dash guys. Your dash will quit flashing at 85MPH and actually go to 199MPH. The analog dash guys are stuck with some cheesy paper overlay in the dash and a Speedo reduction mess.

Next time you take a GN buddy to lunch in your car and he says "What are those lights for?" You can tell him "Ah, it's just the factory Fully Adjustable, Multi-stage Boost Indication System".

Hope that helps.
Just thought I would share, and hopefully put a smile on anyones face that owns a "U52".

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited March 04, 2001).]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Orlando_87GN, Thanks for the post it was 'I' who had the question about how to make the lights work again.I will check out your recomendation as soon as the weather breaks here up North.Thanx,Richard

------------------
Bruno"s Buicks,Just trying to save the breed,one animal at a time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you think you can still get that switch? Mine isn't working at all. The lights came on a few times when I got the car a year and a half ago, but not since.

------------------
Fast, but wanna be faster!!!

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think it's still available. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and find a part number for you.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thanks for the info!!
Now I dont hate my DD no more!Guess I better get the MPH mod done with the quickness though.Hope Im not to late"How the hell did you figure that one out???Makes me wonder how many other goodies are hiding in our cars.

-----------"UNDER CONSTRUCTION"-------
86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads,intake & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

[This message has been edited by fast86 (edited April 03, 2001).]

·
JR still sucks!
5,004 Posts
Mine doesn't work either. I put the hose off the hobb switch and felt vacumm. I guess the switch is bad. Should I be checking something else before buying one?

------------------

Supercharged Pontiac Bonneville
81 Corvette
87 Turbo T WE4
TA49, CAS V4, SS THDP (Jersey Style), 009s, Red's 93 Chip, XP pump, MM Boost Commander, engine tie strap, adjustable FP regulator, hot wire kit, snubber,K&N cone filter, B&M Super Cooler, Hooker exhaust, KYBs, Air bags, Scanmaster II and Turbo Link, VDO gauges and Kirban braces.
Mobil 1 / Original owner /GSCA member.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info. I always liked to see those lights go on but now I can turn them into something useful. Can one just get this chip from Caspers or do you have to send the dash out. Its kind of tough with a daily driver GN missing your speedometer.

·
JR still sucks!
5,004 Posts
Is this the part #25503871?

------------------

Supercharged Pontiac Bonneville
81 Corvette
87 Turbo T WE4
TA49, CAS V4, SS THDP (Jersey Style), 009s, Red's 93 Chip, XP pump, MM Boost Commander, engine tie strap, adjustable FP regulator, hot wire kit, snubber,K&N cone filter, B&M Super Cooler, Hooker exhaust, KYBs, Air bags, Scanmaster II and Turbo Link, VDO gauges and Kirban braces.
Mobil 1 / Original owner /GSCA member.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am also wondering if you could just get the chip from caspers or you gotta send it. I hate waiting and the fact that I can't drive without a speedo in the car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts