Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have to say as a fairly new Turbo Buick owner of only six months, I've learned a lot off stuff from this site and I'd like to thank everybody for the great info.

Detonation...I have a stock waste gate actuator running approx 12psi. and the pit bull chip. today I replaced what I think is the boost control solenoid along with new hoses(the thing on the passenger side valve cover) Before replacing this I had never expirence detonation, but after I replaced it, it knocked for a second and I let off the throttle. Did replacing that increase the boost coming out of the turbo and if so should I put the stock chip back in?

Joe
------------------
1986 Grand National
used to have a chip, paperclip and a K&N
13.90 @ 101mph

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Who knows the timing in the pit bull.. could be too much for the gas you use..

Most importantly, do you have a boost gauge and how much boost is there when detonation occurs?

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Even with the stock waste gate the ATR chip will up your boost to 16-17# & your timing is definitely more than stock. Depending on the ATR chip it could be up to 12 degrees more.
If you don't have an accurate boost gauge & a knoc detector or scan tool, you are asking for trouble. Even with the stock chip, the turbo "Y" can crack or blow off. Then the boost goes 25#+ & good bye head gasket or worse.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
What did the boost gauge read when you noticed the knock?

------------------
Justin 87 GN
Walboro 307, hooker duals w/test pipe, mini mag chip, 9" K&N, adj fpr, adj wastegate, free mods, soft shoes, s-10 cyls, line lock, 979 valve springs, air bags, pinion snubber, B&M Tranny cooler

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 5 year old pit bull chip was listed as having 16 to 18 psi and 26 to 24 degrees timing advance at full throttle.Usually TOO MUCH for pump gas. knock will blow head gaskets. Get a good boost meter and put in stock chip until you can control knock.

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock chip is back in. and my car is faster too and doesnt knock. Thanks Guys. Going out to get a boost gauge tomarow

Joe
----------------
1986 Grand National
13.57 @ 100mph
a paperclip and a K&N

·
Registered
7 Posts
We're running a Pitbull street chip 93 octane,18#s boost,25*timing with goose eggs at WOT for knock. Of coarse we are at altitude a mile high so we probably can get away with the timing. Read somewhere that for every 1* advance equals an increase in octane .5-.75 oct. and for every 1000ft increase octane needs decrease .5 octane. Was running a Lubrant chip 92,20*,18#s and it ran good ,put the Pitbull in and things happen quicker i.e better throttle response ,no stumbling out of the hole,better MPG. The two octane factors seemed to cancel each other out. Any how the car seems to like the timing and we are running 93.5 -94 octane anyway, I may not get away with it in the summer though ,when temp. rises and our octane requirements increase. Even though we are a mile high it gets into the 100s here in the high desert. What we need is the best most efficent intercooler available. Any thoughts on KB's Bigboy, CAS v-2, v-4, etc.,etc.? I need names and numbers as well prices. THANKS!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts