Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people destroke the 3.8's? is it for more Rpms? I know Kenne Bell destroked his 83 regal and is running low 9's on a Doug Nash 5 speed tranny and traps close to 150. also Rick Harper has a destroked GN that run 8.50's.how come?

·
Retired
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
In a nutshell... A longer connecting rod makes more HP than short one but narrows the powerban. Shorter rods make less HP but yield wider powerbands. As Dave said, you may be restricted in the class you are running, so you are going to play with crank, rod and piston combo's to yield a certain cubic in displacement.

Paul
72 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just my 2 cents, it is my understanding that someone would destroke the motor to make less torque. Which would then enable that person to leave the starting line with out worrying about spinning the tires as much because of the torque their motor is making. I read about a guy in a Car Craft magazine that did this so he could compete in a class that limited tire size to 10.5 inch wide tires. It is also my understanding that it is the bore of the cylinder that the horsepower is derived from, the stroke is where the torque is derived from. The longer the stroke, the more torque. The bigger the bore, the more horsepower. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally posted by TransAm:
Rick Harper has a destroked GN that run 8.50's.how come?

LOL!! This is the first I have heard of this. I never even new he went in the 9's. Where did you hear this from?

------------------

·
Retired
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am quite familiar with those cars. I wasn't aware of Rick Harper's car even making a pass in the last 3 years, let alone an 8.

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by HighPSI:

LOL!! This is the first I have heard of this. I never even new he went in the 9's. Where did you hear this from?

I misread the info on his site. he is SUPPOSED to run 8:50's with the crrent setup. is he not a good tuner or something?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I won't answer that. I just know his car is nothing like John Gallina's destroked car. I was suprised to hear he went 8's without me finding out. I only know of 5-6 cars in Florida in the 9's or quicker (after Reynolds there will be 2-3 more).

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts