Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have done a search at it seems pretty much straight forward...question I have is I am removing windshield on this patricular car and was wondering if it would be easier to remove and install dash pad without windsheild in place...I intend to remove both passenger and drivers seat so I can get my old fat @$$ in there without repturing something :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
don't need a right angle screwdriver if the windshield is out..so I guess it is a bit easier....otherwise..take the screws out and swap them

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Shawn,
For what it is worth, when I changed out the dash top (plastic tray), I had to get the special flexable screwdriver set to back out the nuts. Seems to me it would be much easier without the windshield. May as well change the speakers, etc while you have it out.

·
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jdodman said:
Shawn,
For what it is worth, when I changed out the dash top (plastic tray), I had to get the special flexable screwdriver set to back out the nuts. Seems to me it would be much easier without the windshield. May as well change the speakers, etc while you have it out.
The owner is coming down to help and he does want to swap out the speakers...so I will leave windshield out...

·
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve Wood said:
don't need a right angle screwdriver if the windshield is out..so I guess it is a bit easier....otherwise..take the screws out and swap them
I thought you had a how to from Eric on your website but I cannot find it :confused:

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
By the way (and I am sure you know this) but Kirban sells the plastic dash top tray and the paint to match the GN grey.

Also, if I had to do it over (and I may still do this), the after market speakers I purchased from Jay's GN, were a little taller than stock, which blocked the plastic speaker grill from seating properly. I have seen posts (do a search) where guys have mounted the speakers up under the dashpad receiver, rather then drop them down into the speaker receiver. I started to look at this and decided I would want to do this, when the windshield is out... Again, just some advice to consider as long as it is out... :sw:

·
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with this dash pad it is the surround on top where the intrusment cluster is that is really damaged. I believe he has ordered a new / used one

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
gbsean said:
I thought you had a how to from Eric on your website but I cannot find it :confused:
No, that is something else. Removing the entire dash as I recall...this is just pull screws out and nothing else. :)

·
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok now I am :dunno: isnt the dash pad one piece what about the ac vents etc I thought you had to pull instrument cluster to remove entire pad...I have never done one or even really looked at it to remove it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
depends upon your definition, I guess..you are probably more correct than me, tho :D

I think we were referring to the top piece that covers the speakers. I was, anyway...let me see where I stuck it...been awhile :)

I guess we called it the speaker grill before..so I am wrong..

but, here is the link

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/dash_swap.htm

·
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
needs whole thing the the piece that covers the instrument/dash is cracked clicked on link and yep that is it.... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If you want to practice, I will go down to Houston and haul my elky out here..I had about 75% of it out so I could install a new dash shell when I moved out here...gonna be an interesting job completion some day. :D Floorboard is full of parts, screws, and other assorted stuff.

Wish I had had Eric's list then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts