Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever have this problem? When I turn my headlights on my instrument cluster lights don't come on (all the exterior lights work fine). Stranger still, my radio LED display goes off and the Tach/Boost LEDS go out.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Check the 5 ampere gauges fuse.

Do the taillamps work when you put the lights on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the tail lights work okay. I'll check that fuse.

As soon as I turn on the headlights (or even the parking lamps) - out goes the tach, radio, boost, etc. and of course no cluster lights. Just started doing this one night. I haven't changed anything electrical lately.
The car has twilight sentinel FWIW.

Thanks

RP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Salvage the fuse was blown! Replaced it and it blew again. Any ideas? Radio is stock and it's got analog speedo.

Thanks!

P.S. Do I remember reading a post(s)about a wire for the shift indicator lamp shorting out and blowing fuses? I guess this is the same circuit.

[This message has been edited by RP (edited August 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Yes it is and prolly a good first thing to check out.

Also did you add any wiring for gauge lighting to existing lamp circuits? That would also be a good place to look.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by salvageV6:
Yes it is and prolly a good first thing to check out.

Also did you add any wiring for gauge lighting to existing lamp circuits? That would also be a good place to look.

Good luck.

No I didn't add any other lamps (I did see that post though
). I'll check that shift indicator wire tommorow.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by RP (edited August 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've got to love an electrical problem whose cause is almost the first place you look!

Sure enough Salvage, I removed the console shifter trim plate, reached in and found a gray wire with a bare end. I taped it up for now and will revisit the whole issue when I have more time.

Thanks for your help.

RPM

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Glad you found the problem quickly. Hope you didn't have the twilight sentinel option like I did. Blew a whole about 1/8" in diameter in the chip inside the amplifier module when the gray wire shorted on my car.

Big $$$ for the new module...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm...I do have twilight sentinal. I'll go check it. It worked a few weeks ago after the dash lights went out. Maybe I lucked out because I never use it (leave it on manual all the time).

RPM

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
You should be safe on manual.

I was taking a night course down at Southern CT college and always used the automatic mode. Lights came on for a second then when I put the car in gear to back out BOOM no more lights. I thought something smoked big time.

I was right it was the module.

I use the manual mode all the time now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts