Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I put water into the radiator, and I remembered someone saying that they also poured water into the heater pipes to backfill and get more water in. I filled the radiator to the top and then began pouring water into the heater pipe that goes into the intake. Now I have a slow, steady drip from the front of the intake manifold. What the hell is going on? Did I get water in the engine?

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Where specifically is the water coming from? If it's around a sensor unit, thermostat housing, etc... you should be fine. If it's based out of the joint between the head and intake, you're ready to pull the intake again.

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I don't know the setup on the intercooled cars, but like earl said, leaks from the thermostat housing are common.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The water appears to be coming from between the intake and the rubber end gasket, right above the turbo oil drain. I reasonably certain it is not one of the hoses or the thermosta housing. The radiator is full and it has stopped leaking. It seems to have leaked out all the water I poured into the heater hose.

·
Never ending process!
2,288 Posts
How about the hard heater hose connection ?? Its on the passenger side in the area of the turbo drain ??? I chased a leak like that for hours turned out to be that fitting was cross threaded and poured out

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Do you have a pressure tester?
If you do, pump it up and the tell tale drip will reveal itself in a more obvious way.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just went out and checked. It is still leaking: drip, drip, drip. It is not the hard line, it really appears to be coming out of the intake. I have lost about a quart of water overnight. I used a new felpro intake gasket and torqed in sequence. Has anyone ever seen this? I was going to fire it up this morning and now I will have to take it all apart again. :mad:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
sounds like it is leaking between the intake and head/block if it is coming out that seal...

that means the water gets drained, the intake comes off and you reseal it...put some silicone around the water ports, in the corners on each side of the rubber seal and do it again. Check the oil to make sure there is no water in it.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
did you put any rtv around the water passages befor you put the gasket on also check th hard line that goes to the heater core they are proon to rusting/leaking especial when you are twistng the intake connection on and off

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not the hard line. I did not use rtv. Could this be caused by the new heads? I have had the intake off many times, never used rtv and now this. I'm at the end of my rope with this damn car.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
rusty therm neck :dunno: and it's weeping

·
Registered
373 Posts
Did you check the clearance between the block and the intake BEFORE you put the intake on? Sometimes with new heads there isn't enough clearance to run the rubber seals and you have to run a bead of silicone instead. The seals maybe holding the intake up too far not allowing it to seal to the heads..........

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
check what Russ just told you and then put it together with a little silicone around the water ports...and always use silicone in the corners on each end.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took off the manifold, water has exited the ps front water passage and run down the top of the valley gasket into the engine. I will check clearance between block and intake.
Aside from draining the oil, what about the watern in the engine? I suppose I need to drop the pan.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Damn Chris that suxs

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, just from eyeballing the front of the intake, there is at least an 1/8" of space. Has anyone else experienced this with Champion heads? As much time as I spend here, I didn't realize this was an issue.

Which rtv should I use? Do I run a bead around all of the ports? If the opening is 1/8" without the gasket, should I use the rubber strips? That seems like a lot of rtv. I'm confused.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the gasket in there, the clearance will be over the 1/8". Should I just rtv the ports and reuse the gaskets?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
1/8" (.125) sounds like a lot to try and cover up. can you double up a gasket? I've done that on BB chryslers. Sounds like the angles are off and you may need to resurface the intake. Did they mill the heads?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Def doesn't matter how much you hang around here......Internet info is a far cry from real world experiance as your finding out everytime you work on her........

I use the "right stuff" all along the block. If your using the blue 96033 intake gasket, I just spray it with the red tack cement. Basically spray it edge to edge. Around water/intake ports, both sides. Be careful setting the intake down and put it back together.........Works everytime.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts