Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a feel for what this is worth? Bought it today and wasn't sure what to pay for it. Purchased new in 1990 and crate never opened. I cracked the seal and found it in as good a shape as when it left the factory. Factory short block. No cam or timing gears, cover etc. Part no. 25526109.

[This message has been edited by Jack Evers (edited January 03, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jack Evers (edited January 04, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
$1800

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Is it a rebuilt replacement block or a brand new one?

Seems like I recall the factory crate short blocks going somewhere near that range when they were available.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy had an invoice from the dealership showing a purchase price of nearly $1,900 in 1990.

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The SG1 only signifies that it is a factory replacement engine. It means nothing with regard to a special block.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Evers:
Thanks, Steve, that's quite a bit more than I paid for it and I feel better now.

Jack,

Knowing this, you did good !!!

Regardless of what you intend to do with this motor, I would suggest a complete disassembly and clean up everything internally. Just from sitting all these years, dust and debris could have migrated into the wrong areas and could hurt the motor upon initial start-up. Although you are from dry AZ, the possiblity of rust formation somewhere also exists. This is assuming the block lived most of it's life there. If not, than rust could be even more of an issue.
Even though cosmolene protectant was used upon assembly it might not have been coated or distributed evenly to all the critical surfaces.

Ron

------------------
Ron Joseph
'87 GN, [email protected], Red's chip, guidance, and it's more streetable than stock....
GSCA # 2306, PR Director
BCA # 26330

"T/R CRATE MOTORS NOW AVAILABLE AND ON THE SHELF"
"Max-Boost Launch Kits Now Available"

Ron's Custom Auto
Merkel Performance Engines
305 S. Michigan Ave.
Kenilworth, NJ 07033
1-800-718-7667
Website <ronscustomauto.com>
Ron <[email protected]>
Paul <[email protected]

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
UHH! I want it .

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would not disassemble it!! Just blow it out with compressed air! Hell it was wrapped in plastic'And should of had desicant bags in the package.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Wow! Nice score!
Yep, I would take that puppy apart and measure everything. Rod and main clearances, pistons, bores, deck height, ring gap, etc. How many times do you think someone was able to take apart and measure a NEW short block assembled by GM? I would guess not too many. Document it all. Have fun with your new toy.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by RonsAuto:

Regardless of what you intend to do with this motor, I would suggest a complete disassembly and clean up everything internally. Just from sitting all these years, dust and debris could have migrated into the wrong areas and could hurt the motor upon initial start-up. Although you are from dry AZ, the possiblity of rust formation somewhere also exists. This is assuming the block lived most of it's life there. If not, than rust could be even more of an issue.
Even though cosmolene protectant was used upon assembly it might not have been coated or distributed evenly to all the critical surfaces.

Ron

Ron, I can appreciate what you're saying and I got a little concerned after reading your post so I checked it out closer. As I indicated, the motor was sold by a local Buick dealer in 1990 and has been in Arizona since. I pulled back the plastic and checked topside. I will pass anyone's white glove test Ron. No hint of even dust. As I said earlier, I opened the bag the motor was in yesterday to check casting numbers. 1989 air came out of the bag. The only thing I find on the block and lifter valley is some white paint spots. Have no idea why that would be but it came from Flint that way. There is cosmolene on the pistons and inside cylinders. I imagine that has to be cleaned out before the engine is assembled. Am attaching additional images.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That looks like a nice find, Jack!
Have fun with it!!

------------------
TomS.

• *'84 Burgundy T-Type - Mostly stock, looking for upgrades
    *'70 Camaro - Mostly in pieces....looking for time & $$
    *Assorted other vehicles...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jack that would be the perfect wedding/engagemet present

Dathan

------------------
87 GN T-Tops, most of the basic stuff TA49, Dutt neck, 36# bluetops,THDP, TH 2 3/4in exhaust with DynoMax Race Magnums, walbro 340, accufab FPR and a pinion sunbber!

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
My first thought was that it was a NA short block. It would have the same 109 casting number. But it is drilled and tapped for a oil return line. Good Find! (I would still check the crank fillets, just to be 100%.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, The SG1 is just the replacement block for the 3.8L. I have an SG1 in my 87 GN and it was a factory crate motor that was installed under warranty.
Tim
87GN
96Cobra

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by b4black:
My first thought was that it was a NA short block. It would have the same 109 casting number. But it is drilled and tapped for a oil return line. Good Find! (I would still check the crank fillets, just to be 100%.)
Got me thinking, so I checked the archives. Couple of 1997 posts from Chris Cairns and Scott Simpson ( I consider both well qualified). Both confirm that Part No. 25527476 are Turbo Regal Replacement Blocks and not naturally aspirated blocks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jack Evers (edited January 07, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jack Evers (edited January 07, 2002).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts