Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take my valve cover breather off and run it into the downpipe for a crankcase evacuation. I want to do this for several reasons (HP for one). My car has the TH 3" D/P, no cat, 3" straight thru muffler. Does anyone see a downside to running a crankcase evac. into the downpipe on a street car?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
With oil vapors and blowby at WOT going into the hot downpipe, you will have a smoke stream like an oceanliner eek! Not a good idea. Get a Moroso racing Vacuum pump to do what you want to accomplish.

<small>[ October 29, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: ULYCYC ]</small>

·
Registered
176 Posts
I plumbed my crankcase breather outlet into a home made catch filter and into the turbo inlet. Try this for an experiment, put several feet of heater hose from the turbo inlet into the car. Go driving, with the turbo sucking there is a heck of a lot of flow into the hose. No 12 volt vacuum pump will keep up to that. Next run a line from the valve cover into the car, at idle to 25% throttle you will feel the PCV pulling a vacuum on the crankcase. After that the blow-by comes out of the crankcase as a heavy wafting. The turbo can pull in way more than is needed. I have run this way for a year and the "filter" is a clear 2" vinyl hose about 5" long stuffed with those white fuzzy things used in carbed cars air cleaners for the PCV air to get filtered. After a year the fuzzy white stuff got a little bit oil coloured. No oil in the IC or up-pipe. The factory setup is the best but their little filter was way too small. Oh yeah, my car leaks a lot less oil now.

I could post pictures is need be.

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
I have designed a similar system and it works great, nice and clean. Putting the system in the system in the exhuast will make a mess, and theres not much vaccum there at low speeds anyway. Heres a pic!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/norbz/motor_oct_2003.JPG

to you give an idea.

<small>[ October 29, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: norbs ]</small>

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Norbs

Can you post some more pics of that setup? thumb_up

·
Registered
90 Posts
No doubt, post some more pics. I've been trying to set up a pcv system, and yours looks nice. I noticed you still have the stock pcv hooked up. Is it functional? I like the breather apparatus attached to the valve covers. Are they filled with some kind of filter element? Isn't there a chance of getting oil inside the ic with this? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :)

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
PCV is hooked up as normal, with a check valve of course, however i pulled the throttle body off the other day and i noticed oil in it from the pcv port in the throttle body, i may need some kind of filter there. Inside the breathers is the orginal foam that came with them, plus a piece of sponge, walmart $1. sponge is just regualar sponge you would use to clean a car. Then i placed a fine wire mesh over the sponge to keep it compressed. I have checked for oil in the inlet pipe and there is a very slight film there, but its not even enough to make a drop. ALso take into consideration i have raced this with the breathers on at 26 psi on the street it is 100% totally dry with low boost. The use of clear hoses was used to show if there was any oil coming out of the breathers. Home depot has everything almosr

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where did you get the breathers? Also I have heard that if you pull too much vacuum on the crankcase it can cause problems, like sucking the oil off the cylinder walls. Have you ever measured how much this setup actually pulls when you're in boost? Big turbos suck like crazy! powersix

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Norb,

Thank you for the further pictures, but looking at the pictures, what about coming out of WOT? When your throttlebade closes and pressure in your turbo track in reversed. Wont those hoses just repressureize your engine?

·
Mine's BIGGER than yours!
296 Posts
Several of us that have used the chrome MOPAR oil separator type breathers on the valve covers, then ran a hose down to a bung welded onto the converter replacement pipe. I have yet to see any smoking on a run or driving.

Before, several of us had problems with the standard K&N type breathers on the valve covers allowing oil to drip out and run down onto the hot headers. THIS really smoked. I couldn't get on the car without s stink and cloud of smoke. This solved the problem.

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
I can't see the 4" inlet pipe to the turbo becoming pressurized, even when i let off the throttle, i have a blow off valve on the turbo outlet also, works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts