Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the clearance i should set my crank sensor at, and how accurate i have to be with it.
TIA

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
take a liter soft drink bottle and cut a couple of strips out of the side. The curve will be just about the same as the diameter of the damper...make sure that you can insert them on both sides of the blade without dragging on the sensor.

Check all the blades for clearance in case one is out a bit.

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
long as it aint hittin :)

I typically put the crank so its in the sensor and center it and tighten it up

·
Registered
683 Posts
Of course Steve is right again! Clearance is .025 just for the record. The plastic pop bottle thingy works great. Gene

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Steve Wood:
take a liter soft drink bottle and cut a couple of strips out of the side. The curve will be just about the same as the diameter of the damper...make sure that you can insert them on both sides of the blade without dragging on the sensor.

Check all the blades for clearance in case one is out a bit.
Great idea!

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
someone once told me that the box that the new crank sensor comes in is a perfect clearance gauge. Just do the same thing that Steve said but use the thickness of the box.....thats if you don't have one of them high tech soda bottle crank sensor setting tools. :)

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
A cheesy set of $40 plastic calipers would be a good thing to own before guessing at the box thickness or a pop bottle thickness. nono

That stuff changes often as cost cutting measures are put into place. yup

Get a decent plastic bottle measured up and save it in with the spark plug gapper. powersix :cool:

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
salvageV6:
A cheesy set of $40 plastic calipers would be a good thing to own before guessing at the box thickness or a pop bottle thickness. nono

Get a decent plastic bottle measured up and save it in with the spark plug gapper. powersix :cool:
Hmmm...I went out and checked my box that I've used for about 3 years now and its still the same thickness. silly

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
salvageV6:

Your cheesy set of plastic calipers will have more variation that the plastic bottle. nono

1 - 9 of 9 Posts