Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 gn started running like crap yesterday morning. I took the ignition module to the auto parts store and had it tested and it failed. I bought a new one and put it on the car but the car will not start with the new ignition module. im sure that I connected all the wires properly to the coil pack and I had them test the new ignition module before I left the auto parts store. the coil pack is maybe 2months old. Any ideas of why the car will not start?

·
Hired Wrench
125 Posts
Check for 12 volts at ign module. 2 places. M and P. One at the end of the connector and then the 3rd in. Both pink/black stripe.

·
Hired Wrench
125 Posts
The new module is mounted and grounded, right?

Back to basics and check for spark and fuel pressure.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok. so I have spark at all cylinders and fuel pressure is about 39 while engine is running and KOEO. I don't have a separate fuel pressure gauge other than the one attached under the hood but as far as I know its operating properly.

ive tried 4 brand new ignition modules, 2 or 3 different brands, and the car would not start with any of them. the new ones all have a SILVER CASING. My old ignition module has a BLACK CASING(my car will start and run with the old one but it was shaky and had no go like it had dead cylinder and the only thing that hadn't been replaced was the ignition module).i then decided to take the ignition modules off the my fathers 87 gn's because i knew for sure that these worked...one has a SILVER CASING and the other has a BLACK CASING. tested for spark and all cylinders are sparking good and fuel pressure is about 39 according to pressure gauge under the hood...this is on both the SILVER CASING(KOEO because it wont start) and the BLACK CASING.

Now, the car will start and run the BLACK CASING ignition module that i took off my fathers car but it still runs like crap.(same as my old BLACK CASING module) The car will not start or run with the SILVER CASING module but cranks and has spark(tried 4 brand new ones) even though spark is present and fuel pressure is reading 39

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i went out and bought a fuel pressure gauge and will test in the morning. do you think it necessary tho seeing that i already have a guage attached to the fuel rail?

i could try new plugs but the plugs that are in there are only about a month old as are the wires, injectors, coil, fuel pressure regulator, ecm, TT chip, fuel pump about 5 monts old. i think that im just going to take it back to the shop that did all the workr

my Scanmaster chose great time to stop working. it will only stay on for about 1.5 sec and shuts down

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.