Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I pulled my driver's side manifold and it's cracked. Really cracked. The last primary is hanging onto the rest of the manifold by about .75" of un-cracked steel, that's it. It has also been welded before. I'm gonna guess it was done by somebody that was blind that found a MIG machine in a ditch because the weld is terrible. My car wasn't even that loud but I could hear it leaking with the new turbo. Anyway, who can fix this in the area? I have a person I'm going to go see but he may not be willing to take it on.

Mike, who fixed your passenger's side header the last time?

·
Gone and almost forgotten
1,042 Posts
Paul B said:
Well, I pulled my driver's side manifold and it's cracked. Really cracked. The last primary is hanging onto the rest of the manifold by about .75" of un-cracked steel, that's it. It has also been welded before. I'm gonna guess it was done by somebody that was blind that found a MIG machine in a ditch because the weld is terrible. My car wasn't even that loud but I could hear it leaking with the new turbo. Anyway, who can fix this in the area? I have a person I'm going to go see but he may not be willing to take it on.

Mike, who fixed your passenger's side header the last time?
Paul,

is the area that has been welded somewhat fixable as well ? How bad is it ?

The person who fixed my pass header the last time, is the same as the time before that and is also the same person that fixed my driver's side before that......

I will check with him to see if he is free.

Why not bring it to Jack May to have it fixed ???

:poon:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real-T said:
Paul,

is the area that has been welded somewhat fixable as well ? How bad is it ?

The person who fixed my pass header the last time, is the same as the time before that and is also the same person that fixed my driver's side before that......

I will check with him to see if he is free.

Why not bring it to Jack May to have it fixed ???

:poon:
Yeah, I'm sure Howie and his tube of orange RTV could fix me right up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, I'll take a pic and post it when I get home. It's pretty bad :crazy: The heat sheild must have been blocking most of the noise.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, it's fixed and back on the car. I had it done by an engineering firm here in Smiths Falls. They TIG'ed it with stainless rod and installed a gusset into the "V". He said it's not going to last forever but it should hold for a while.

Mike, thanks for the tips on pulling the manifold. It wasn't too hard other than one of the nuts broke off of the flange that seals the manifold to the crossover.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and just an update on the manifold:

The car runs much better now and spools much quicker. The only downside is that I'm pretty sure my passenger's side manifold is leaking. I think it's at the crossover flange. I probably disturbed the connection when I was working on the other side. I also need new plug wires, again. What have you guys had the most luck with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts