Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car left here for a 8.8 Ford rear and a cage . Got to thinkin .. eng compartment is HOTTER than hell ..so halucinatining about a cowl hood (2"s) ..just to get some air out .. anyone know where to get one ?? :dunno: :cheers:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
If your radiator is installed at an angle rework it so it's mounted straight up and down. I don't need a cowl hood in Florida and I'd say it's a wee bit hotter here than MA.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
I have a cowl hood fabbed from a Mercury Capri hood scoop installed backwards. However, not sure I would recommend it for a hot running engine in light of what Mike said. It works fine for low speeds but as speed increases and the pressure at the base of the windshield changes, it actually is trying to force air in which in effect blocks the hot air from coming out. What I would recommend are vents positioned over the exhaust manifolds and as far back as possible. Here are some pics of 280ZX vents that I put on the original steel hood. I then snagged a N/A aluminum hood and did the cowl. Like an idiot, I dumped the heavy steel hood when i got the aluminum. Now I wish I could have the aluminum hood and the vents instead. Also, having a really good fan that moves a lot of air is key.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
cooling

is'nt scott's rad in at an angle in misred ? he must have the plastic duct work on the bottom of the car ? ted ps: mine seems to be running a little hot also, about 209 w/the fan on and 175 mat temp on direct scan and that is with the new 26-19 rad, also a good place for a vent would be above the turbo ? correct ?

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Yup. I have a 24x19 aluminum rad at the stock angle with a Taurus fan but with a 4" thick FMIC, B&M supercooler and stock RX7 oil cooler all contributing to heat :D. When everything is working fine I have no issues with the temps really going over 200* but at highway speeds the temp does not come way down like it should. Running down the track even on a hot FL night, the coolant temp rarely goes over 185* and the IAT, measured at the doghouse, is usually at or below ambient even with 27psi boost. Alky.

You can run the rad straight up if you use a Corvette-style rad which is typically ~27x15 but fans are a little harder to find for that. I am limited to 24x19 because the rad has to fit in between the I/C plumbing which is recessed in the modified rad support.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
When I had the red car I had all of the same stuff in front of the radiator, plus an A/C condenser (that wasn't functional). I never really had major coolant temp issues but I can remember on a hot day the hood latch and hood prop being too hot to actually touch. Here is the kicker, I always used the stock Mazda RX-7 radiator which was thin and had the plastic tanks. That tells me that the radiator isn't the issue here, it the angle that it is mounted at. The first thing I noticed when I put the 3rd gen RX-7 together was the hood wasn't nearly as hot and the whole engine compartment seemed cooler. I mounted the radiator in that car perpendicular to the ground. I believe that makes all the difference as the air from the fan is blown out the bottom of the car inside of into the hood.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting stuff..... well car is at the chassis shop for now ... have to do some digging when I get it back .. I hope I like it when its done :rolleyes: otherwise its goin down the road :eek!: :yup: my attention span sucks as you can see :sw:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts