Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or high temp silicone for the turbo to exhaust manifold marriage?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose all of the old men have gone to bed, dreaming about young girls.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Make sure both surfaces are square and use absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I just put a straight edge on the exhaust housing? The turbo must be square it's brand new. I'll check.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Dont worry about the turbo then. Run a flat file across the header flange and that will show you if you have any high/low spots.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I would have said nothing :)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve, what the hell are you doing up? Have you had your warm milk yet? I have to confess, it's really nice to finally install this beautiful turbo. It's a cpte 44. It's not going to function well with the stock ic is it? I guess I should just put the fm in now too.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It will function well with the stock unit...but, there is no reason not to install the fm and see how it goes :)

I am always up at this time :)

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
This time has never occured before, barring some sort of warpage in the space-time continuum, it will never occur again. Your statement is fallacious.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I'd use the gasket my dad sells. If you have any warpage it's going to leak and you'll have slow spool up without a gasket.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Zap said:
This time has never occured before, barring some sort of warpage in the space-time continuum, it will never occur again. Your statement is fallacious.
I know what warped means, and who is warped :crazy:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve Wood said:
I know what warped means, and who is warped :crazy:
I just hope my manifold isn't warped or my space-time continuum for that matter.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
a good straight edge will insure one-or the file method-while staying sufficient orbital distance from the black hole between Zap's ears will prevent the other :sw:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I put a straight-edge on the manifold it appears to be straight. I tried pulling a piece of paper from under the edge at various points and it was tight. I guess I wonder though, why would you not use the copper gasket? Isn't it a good insurance?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
When I put a straight-edge on the manifold it appears to be straight. I tried pulling a piece of paper from under the edge at various points and it was tight. I guess I wonder though, why would you not use the copper gasket? Isn't it a good insurance?
If you have a good mating surface then gaskets or goo is not needed. I guess having two spare tires in the trunk is good insurance too. :crazy:

·
Registered
835 Posts
i would honestly run the gasket, chances are the old stock turbo has slightly warped and the manifold matches it. I just don't see why take a chance when he already has the gasket. I would rather not take a chance and just run the gasket and enjoy no exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ULYCYC said:
If you have a good mating surface then gaskets or goo is not needed. I guess having two spare tires in the trunk is good insurance too. :crazy:
Why wouldn't you have four spare tires? :)

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
JDSfastGN said:
i would honestly run the gasket, chances are the old stock turbo has slightly warped and the manifold matches it. I just don't see why take a chance when he already has the gasket. I would rather not take a chance and just run the gasket and enjoy no exhaust leaks.
Gotta agree with this. What gain is there to not using one?? Nothing!
What potential problems can arise by not using one? Slow spool!
I know it gave me headaches for a couple months looking for the tiny leak that made my spool turn to mush! Got it use it! :yup:

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Thinking ahead come to mind. If you have the manifold off like he did. I would have checked it and made sure it was flat and true. If not even a gasket will leak or worse,work loose. Also a gasket can cause problems if you got rid of the turbo support bracket.Constant flexing of the exhaust system will crush the gasket more then the solid flange surface. This will make it more leak prone then without it. Bottom line is fix it right and forget the bandaids :sw:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
and once you draw it down on the gasket, something is going to warp...either the base of the turbo, or the flange.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts