Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was suggested to drain the anti-freeze water mix in lieu of water for racing.

What should I use with tap or distilled water to make sure that lubrication is maintained.

I may just leave the one flush of water fill in there with a nice light green tint. Or should I use the Redline product?

TIA

PS: Most likely will go back to anti-freeze by September or so.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
redline has virtually no lubricant in it and will lead to rust pretty soon. A thin film of rust will affect the ability to remove heat from the walls of the water jacket. RMI-25 is far superior as it not only is a surficant like RedLine but also has a strong lubricant package in it as well. When antifreeze is used, it will not allow deposits from the silicates to line up in the radiator....always try to use distilled...it's cheap from the grocery store.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Oh yeah... I guess that would make a difference w/o aluminum radiator and heads.... My mistake. I do have an engine that has used it for over 2 seasons, did not notice and buildup last time I had the heads off it (last week).

I have to think this stuff has some sort of lubricant in it though, it's definately slippery to the touch. But, since it is made for racing and not wrecking a track surface in the event of a leak... I dunno.

Sounds like you've done your homework on it, and I know I have not. I trust your advice on this one Steve.

I was gonna run this stuff in a liquid intercooler too. Though with an aluminum heat exchanger and a shurflo pump it may suffice, eh?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try good ole Pep Boys and check the label on the bottle.

Might just have to run some light green pond water for lubricant.

I doubt I can get RMI by Friday's race day.

Thanks!

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
We are still getting cold nights here.Last night it dropped to the mid 30's. Leave the antifreeze and just drain the overflow tank. Add some tap water so the inspectors will be happy. In a few weeks when it stays warm flush out your system and add 8oz of RMI25 and a bottle of water wetter with tap water.
We have good water here in the northeast no need for distilled.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but it's good whiz though.

I think he meant the city water isn't hard with a lot of minerals in it. Just tons of Chlorine.

Damm, Prestone 50/50 is so much easier LOL.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Water Wetter has some in it...it just does not last very long. It's rough on waterpump seals too, over the long haul. I think the slickness is as much from the surficant as the lubricant,tho. I would not be surprised to find the base ingredient in some of these things is Liquid Ivory...

It would be interesting to try some plain water and a teapsoon of dishwashing liquid to see if it removed heat as well as the commercial stuff like WaterWetter.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got some Prestone lubricant and water wetter.

Prestone doesn't say you need anti-freeze to use and it does mix well with other chemicals.

Water wetter needs 15% anti-freeze to run it. And it does have some lubricants.

I bet I'm right at 15% with my miniflush.

I may just dump them all in for a week or two and then put my Prestone back in.

This is taking all the fun out of the sport LOL.

·
Owner-TR Custom Parts
1,059 Posts
Hey Salvage,

Every time I have raced at a track rental at LVD they were pretty lax on inspections. Especially with regards to our cars. They don't think V-6 turbos are fast. I have never had them say anything about having antifreeze in the car unless this is something new? Besides when they look at my car's radiator overflow all they are going to see is nice clear alcohol! I have the day off from work and a fresh kitchen pass from the wife so I will see you up there if I can get the OK from Eric Rankin for a spot.

------------------
1987 GN, 20,000 miles, best et to date - 12.67 with stock turbo, injectors and intercooler.
www.buickgn.com Turbo Regal Custom Parts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Mark great! I'm sure you can get in.

I just have to go psycho. on Jury Duty day and I'll be there too.

Learning way too much about lubricants here....

Steve Y. wants me to start running Methanol I think he's a junky.

He's gonna be using that RMI stuff for methanol lube. Might have to try some myself.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hehe, yeah I knew what he meant... just felt the need to put it down for some reason.

Seriously though, doesn't the poor tasting water mean it full of junk... guess that could be chlorine/flouride too.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear the Hudson River is getting cleaner day by day. Tastes great less filling nowadays.

Only taste to our water is chlorine on a bad day, usually it is neutral.

I like spring water if you can find one still running and safe in this state.

Whatever you do don't drink Florida's tap water...

It does have an interesting texture too.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Don't let Steve Y talk you into running meth in the SMC kit. The pump won't last. Of course then he will be on you to buy a FloJet pump that is made for meth...he is a a meth junkie...but he is complaining cause he just bought some more and the price jumped way up.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I toasted one pump with xylene by mistake already. I won't let it happen again.

Steve is gonna teach me how to burn chips. Look out world.

Now all I gotta do is get the burner out of the box and start burnin'!

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
New York City has the best tasting water in the country. It comes from the Catskill Mountain water sheds. There are around 30 private bottling companies that bottle it and ship it the all the convenience stores in Michigan and many other states with nasty drinking water. There are some parts of long Island that have there own municipal wells and I wouldn't use that water to wash my car

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:
Of course then he will be on you to buy a FloJet pump that is made for meth...he is a a meth junkie...but he is complaining cause he just bought some more and the price jumped way up.

Don't worry I'll end up buying some off him.

Ditto the pump issue, but one should not skimp on an alky pump either, cause if it goes while your jumping on it, it'll take head gaskets with it....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by ULYCYC:
New York City has the best tasting water in the country. It comes from the Catskill Mountain water sheds. There are around 30 private bottling companies that bottle it and ship it the all the convenience stores in Michigan and many other states with nasty drinking water. There are some parts of long Island that have there own municipal wells and I wouldn't use that water to wash my car

And I've got a bridge in St Ignace that's for sale too.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Brooklyn Bridge has a better resale value

------------------
ED BAKER
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts