Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
technically are you going to notice a big difference in performance if you were to say have a te44 turbo 2800 stahl vs. a 3000 or 3200 hundred stahl convertor. What if you don't mind me asking are the gains loses ect, ect.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
2800 is about the highest stall you want on a 44. Some go bigger because they like to blow the tires away, but, I would think a converter that does not allow excessive tire spin will get you to the finish line quicker. Some also note their mph goes down with bigger converters due to more "slip" than is needed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey steve just out off curiousity I am more than likely going to purchase a 2800 stahl. The question is if I take this car to a transmission shop and they install something lower than 2400 hundred and try to rip me off which I have heard horror stories about unless you now off a reputabele transmission shop to take it too which I don't yet, what are the pro's to knowing you got ripped off with a cheaper convertor. Can't spool boost or spin the tires etc, etc? Sorry if it is a weird question.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
You can paint a stripe on the new one so you can tell it was installed. :)

But, yes, foot stall the converter and see where it stalls. Factory originals stalled around 2100-2200 depending upon the power your car is making, quality of the brakes, etc. So called 2800 stalls may stall anywhere from 2400-2800 for the same reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts