Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's tranny time!! I'm having Vince Janis do the work, after having him recommended by Ron Joseph. His price was comparable to everyone else, and he's only 3hrs. away. My quiestion is regarding my converter. I'm looking to get the Street Brawler from Cotton. Anyone have this converter? It sounds like a good reliable piece. I don't want the all-out $1000 converter that everyone tries to sell. I want a good converter that will pick me up some time at the track, but most importantly be reliable. It has all the good stuff with furnace-brazed pieces, anti-balloon plates, and a 3000rpm stall. I was going to go with the Orange Stripe, but this Street Brawler has better innerds from the look of it.
TIA!!

------------------
~Ike~
'87 GN T-Top

"His legacy is rodeo, and COWBOY is his name"

·
Registered
72 Posts
Vince will be doing my trans. soon also. I went for the precision 7 disc lock-up it is worth the money. I need him to bullet proof the best that can be done to handle the new engine output. I really don't want to put in a th-400.

------------------
86 G/N

G

·
Ike,

Inasmuch as you want to stay with a 12" converter, let Vince sell you one of his 3,000 " rated" stall converters.
This way, if something goes wrong, he sold you the whole package, and you have one person to deal with for warrantee claim.

At our shop, we do an exception to this policy. When we install a Vigilante, the bond between the trans. builder and converter mfgr. is broken. But, with the extroadinary success we have had with the , in excess of 100 Vigilantes, we have either sold and or installed, it's not an issue with us.

BTW, there isn't another small converter, with lock-up, or any 12" modified D5, than can even come close to a Vigilante, in performance or durability, that we have seen or heard of.
Just our opinion from in shop experience's and from other associates heavily involved in T/R parts, sales, service, build-up's and repair.
BTW, Art Carr ( the company, not Art) seems to make a very good single disc small converter, with lock-up provisions, at slightly less pricing, but if you plan to make some serious HP, a Vigilante 5-disc should be your only consideration.

Keep the transaction simple and make it the last traqnsmission / converter combo you ever need to buy.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that Vigilante is an awesome piece, but there's no way I can/will pay that much. How close are you to Akron? I'm in Lima. Well, I'm in Ada for school (ONU), and my father's place is in Wapak.

------------------
~Ike~
'87 GN T-Top

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Ron. Hopefully, we can talk and figure something out!

------------------
~Ike~
'87 GN T-Top

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by ViciousV6:
that Vigilante is an awesome piece, but there's no way I can/will pay that much. How close are you to Akron? I'm in Lima. Well, I'm in Ada for school (ONU), and my father's place is in Wapak.
Weigh your goals...You *might* not need to go to something as strong as the Vigi...But, then again, if you did you wouldn't have to worry about it. You get what you pay for. The next converter I buy will be a Vigilante.

------------------
RandyCustomShop
"Firechicken"
1982/86/87/88/89 Firebird
Turbo
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts