Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a car show this weekend and saw a guy with a boost contoller. I have never thought about these because I have the adj wastegate and never cared to touch the boost. But now with the alky I will be playing with the boost more and more. I have a THDP so I dont know which one goes good with this as any of the ones I have saw had an external wastegate. I have done some searching but didn't come up with anything good. All he had was a dial that you turn counter clockwise or clockwise to increase, every click was a pound. I didn't see any other hardware or gauges for it in the car. anybody know what this was or something very similar that will fit what I have??

Thanks in advance.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Was it a round knob? If so I used one for years! It just bleeds off air & more air is higher boost. I found it accuratte for about 3-4 lbs then after that it spikes on you. I now have the BSTC which is electronic & with dual solenoids gives 10+lbs adjustment & somewhat quicker spool with the TPS adjustment. Its $200 & the knob is probably $50-$60 although not sure where to get one? There are the other ball & spring type as well from some vendors that go in car. HTH?

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it was a round knob. I did ask him if it spikes on him and he said no but I dont know if he was really using it to its up most potential. I have no idea where to get one or even how to install are they difficult.

Thanks again.

·
Gone and almost forgotten
1,042 Posts
If it is a round knob with hoses attached to it, then maybe it is the Turbonetics Variable Boost controller ?

Cotton's can get them I think.

The other controller that was mentioned the BstC, is available from Full Throttle.

It works well, a different type of install since you need to splice into the wiring though.

But the VBC needs the hoses ran into the car from the solenoid/wastegate plumbing.

:dunno:

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. I will look into those.

Does anybody have first hand experience with the BSTC from Full Throttle?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Love my BSTC! Great product! Also the round knob one can just Tee into a vac line to bleed boost with 1 hose to it in car. It will go up to 5-6 lbs but never trusted it after 2 maybe 3. I know I've seen one lately somewhere? :dunno: I'll take a look around.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Some guys have tried the Greddy Profec B.
Do a search.
The control box is about the size of a Scan Master.

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Daaaaamn :eek!: that is a lot of money compared to the other ones. the BstC looks like a good piece and fairly easy to install just looking for a bit more input on it before I make any final decision.

thanks for all the input :headbang:

·
1,042 Posts
The BstC is a good unit.

It splices into the factory wiring though, basically in between the ECM and the boost solenoid.

It also splices into the TPS signal so that you can set it to a value of when you would like the BstC to take over boost control, otherwise, the ECM controls it. Good for improving spoolup and/or spikes.

also if I recall it also splices into the 3rd gear signal so you can also have a different boost setting for 3rd gear.

The only downside, well only when compared to the Greddy or the MAFT Pro, is that it is sort of an "open loop" boost control, in that it has no idea what boost is actually at so there is some manual adjust necessary as the conditions change. Which really isn't much different than a stock setup or a bleeder valve.

Here is more info:

http://fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=899

:headbang:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Also, you can run 1 stock solenoid for 1-7 lbs adjustment or 2 (with adapter) 1-14 lbs adjustment. I have found that after about 10 I dont trust it as much & have seen some small spikes. I am now set at about 17 lbs with it off & dual solenoids. The duals make it more touchy? as you get 2 lbs per 1 number. easy to get used to & easy to install! Good Product!

·
1,042 Posts
If you are interested in one, I have one that is available.

PM me for details.....

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm using the Greddy Profec b Spec 2. Works very well. It allows you to fine tune your boost ramp up and max boost. That way you can't overboost if you goof on the settings. In off mode it does full bypass. Works as if you had the pressure line right on the wastegate. I have mine set for whatever I can run on pump gas without knock which is 11 psi. Then on low mode I run 15 psi and hi mode I run 20. I can change the boost at the touch of a button. Spool up is crazy fast with the wastegate held shut until 2 psi before your target boost. With a manual boost controller your wastegate will creep open until you hit the happy spot between your boost desired and bleed through the wastegate.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have the BstC and it works well.

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. it looks like i will be going witht he BstC controller as it looks farily simple to install :rolleyes: and will fit right where i want it to. just when i start the install all you guys running the BstC will need to probably help me out :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
joenational said:
Thanks for all the input guys. it looks like i will be going witht he BstC controller as it looks farily simple to install :rolleyes: and will fit right where i want it to. just when i start the install all you guys running the BstC will need to probably help me out :D

That's what this list if for. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I run the BSTC, and I am verry happy with it. I do like the ability to adjust the boost on the fly. (i.e. cool night vs. hot day. Or just testing out some timing changes) I am planning to step up to the MAFTPro setup and am hoping I can get used to the new style of adjustment.

Paul

·
I piss excellence!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gnx6 said:
That's what this list if for. :) Good luck!
Got Ya, :cool:

Anybody have any installation pictures at all. just curios to see what the finished product looks like? inside the car and any wiring that was done would be great.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts