Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a proper setup for my combo and of course would like to save a couple of bucks if possible. With that said, my car does not see any track time and is strictly a weekend warrior. I want a very tight street fighter and am not concerned with vibration/ride quality all that much. Are the boxed type much more superior/rigid than tubulars? Will tubulars be adequate on my combo? I do plan on adding a 1" sway bar, Bilsteins and stickier tires in the future. Should I go with the cheaper tubular CAs from UMI such as this set:

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/it...16B~eq~~Tp~.htm

or should I go with the boxed type from H&R:

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/it...902~eq~~Tp~.htm

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
87geeinn said:
I'm looking for a proper setup for my combo and of course would like to save a couple of bucks if possible.
That can often mean doing things twice, and spending more then doing it right the first time.

Both links are dead, so I don't know if you were talking about rear links, or A-Arms.

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Links work when I first posted. :dunno: Basically should I go with the tubular upper and lower control arms from UMI or the more expensive boxed type from H&R for a strictly street setup? Both have poly bushings.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Melissa has used the UMI's along with an ATR rear sway bar .. Worked awesome for her .. Street car .. runs mid 11s :yup: :sw:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm running the adjustable upper and solid lower UMI's. They work great my 60ft dropped from 1.834 to 1.681. I have the pinion angle at the stock setting for now. Ride is still the same from what I can tell. I didn't use the poly bushings in the upper axle housing. I just kept the 20 year old stock ones in

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
either will work perfectly fine. I prefer to keep the stock bushings in the differential ears to minimize bind.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
To save money as you said just box your stock ones with new bushings of your choice. Pinion angles and the rest won't mean much for what you said your doing.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
old age comment :sw: ... IF you don't value your time Box your own and put in new bushing's :eek!: :yup: :D I did that once ... NEVER again for me :rant:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I guess when you get old...that hour of time spent boxing and bushing could be used for something better.... :D

·
www.MetcoMotorsports.com
297 Posts
The Metco billet arms are definitely the strongest and by far the most nicely made. I'd suggest checking with Brian at G Body Parts for a good deal the uppers and lowers. The uppers are adjustable but are pre-set to the factory length so no measuring is necessary prior to installation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts