Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When replacing the cast iron combination valve, with the brass valve, tell this DIY "Greenhorn" what amount of brake bleeding might be required-and, give the specific steps, in the proceedure? NOTE: My 87' TR, has only a true 8,000 actual miles on it-but, I thought that I might be wise to replace the valve, with the correct brass one-before trouble developes with getting air in the lines! Please try to speak English-instead of in "Greek"(HA! HA!)! Thankyou

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I vote for all four wheels since all the lines go through that thing.

Back ones first far side then near side then the front same order.

Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Do you bleed these things with the key on and the Powermaster motor running or just do it the old fashion way?

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, and all the other usual stuff

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
And a really big shoe....

·
Registered
683 Posts
My vote in adition, is to install the check valve type bleeders and open them all with hoses into some containers. I also recommend Castrol Dot4 LMA Brake fluid. Higher boiling point and less affinity to absorb moisture from the air. Also gives a firmer brake pedal. Gene

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Someone noted that the instructions on the gnttype.org say with the key on.

The shop manual says to bleed the master cylinder with no power assist which I take to mean, key off. It does not specifically address bleeding wheel cylinders with a PM>

All my cars have been converted to vacuum, but I normally gravity bleed the brakes because it does not introduce air into the system, potentially, when pumping the pedal.

I just open all the bleeders and drip them into a bottle until I have clean fluid and then shut them off.

I have been using the synthetic or maybe, semi-sythentic Valvoline fluid lately. I used to always use the Castrol which is excellent.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited December 12, 2001).]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any problems associated with or special steps needed to changeover to either Castrol DOT4 LMA Brake Fluid(That ILBCNU6 is using)-or the Valvoline Synthetic-or, Semi-Synthetic brake fluid(That Steve Wood is using)?

STEVE: Is the Valvoline Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic brake fluid Dot3 or Dot4 rated? Mikal

[This message has been edited by TEEDOFF (edited December 14, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by TEEDOFF (edited December 14, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts