Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, confused a bit with the registration process for an '87 GN. Read around, but I see posts from about 2005 (a while back). So I'm not all too sure on how the accurate the info will be for 2012/2013.

So I'm in the process of getting the insurance squared away for a collectors car, but need to figure out registration. Questions go as follows

1. When is a car considered historic?
2. At 25 years old, almost 26, this car can be currently registered as a collector right?
3. Is a classic registration the same as a collector?
4. Besides going to the DMV in person (quickest to get the forms), what do I need in order to register it, I do understand the insurance aspect?
5. Do I need an inspector to write that the car is sage to be on the road and sign the paper?

Any help gentlemen?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Well I can answer your NJ DMV questions. For the most part the insurance co is going to want your car to be in a garage. THey will have a list of restrictions for driving the car. American Collectors insurance for example told me I am not allowed to use my car as a replacement for my daily driver if its not running. I know in PA the best part about getting the classic/ antique plates are that you do not have to get the car registered each year and the car is Emmision exempt for the life of the car.

Stefan

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
In NJ, once the car is 25 years old, the "Collector Status" is no longer an option - it is either standard tags (pay per year, get inspected, etc) or the "Historic" QQ tags (pay once, never any MVC inspection).
I'm pretty sure that not every MVC office will issue the QQ tags. They will want to see photos - to be sure that the car is a "genuine antique" :rolleyes: (stock looking)
For "Collector" or "Antique" Insurance does not matter which tags you get.
I can get more specific later if others haven't chimed in.
Good luck.

·
Registered
661 Posts
when you get there there's a form you'll need to fill out
once i was at the counter in Eatontown MVC the whole process took only about ten minutes
they will give you QQ tags and you can scrape whatever sticker you have off the window as you dont need one
if you want personalized QQ tags youll have to go through Trenton via mail
Pretty sure you can apply for personalized QQs at Eatontown, Paul. When I filled out the form for the T in January (can't believe it's been almost a freakin year), there was an option.

But OP..I see you're up in Clifton so you may want to see if there's an MVC office closer that will do all of this.

Dan

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
For me, I'm going to have to pay the additional $50 (that I already paid back in 2005 when I got the plates) to keep my personalized plates come April. And then it will have a silly QQ before it. Stupid DMV!!!

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
For me, I'm going to have to pay the additional $50 (that I already paid back in 2005 when I got the plates) to keep my personalized plates come April. And then it will have a silly QQ before it. Stupid DMV!!!
Oh, yeah - and only up to 6 characters "fit" with the QQ tags

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can apply for personalized qq's at eatontown but they will give you regular qq plates and a form to mail to Trenton. Just did mine this year. And yes you have to surrender your current personalized plates and request it again with two alternatives.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
i dont think it works that way
youll be surrendering your old tags and getting new QQ personal tags
your new reg will be QQXXXXXX (provided that combo it isnt already out there on someone elses QQ reg)
your current tag lettering once surrendered could end up on someone else car if they request it
When I said additional $50, I meant a total $94 vs $44 to reapply for my plate under QQ.
And yes when I apply for personalized QQ plates, someone could technically get my old reg NJ Tag if requested.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dats funny :rotflmao:
lol nice.

Ok thank you for the help gentlemen. So let me get this straight.

As of this year and for the future, I need to have the GN insured as a classic car and then am able to get QQ historic tags.

Sweet, only 2 more years to go. :headbang: :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty sure you can apply for personalized QQs at Eatontown, Paul. When I filled out the form for the T in January (can't believe it's been almost a freakin year), there was an option.

But OP..I see you're up in Clifton so you may want to see if there's an MVC office closer that will do all of this.

Dan
Yes there is one in Wallington and in Totowa or that may be Butler or little falls around there. The latter was where the driving test is taken. I believe the Walington one is the only one nearby that I can do. Maybe Lodi.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
As of this year and for the future,
I need to have the GN insured as a classic car and then am able to get QQ historic tags.
... hope I'm not beating the dead horse here, but -
I don't think that the 2 (Classic/Antique/Collector Insurance & QQ Tags) are inter-related... pretty sure that you can have either 1 by itself.
IMHO, I always say that these 2 things are the "only good deals in NJ", so if you are eligible and willing to abide by the rules - go for it as soon as you can. Remember that the QQ registration is a 1-time fee (w/ $0.00 renewal every 3 years).
If you go by the "letter of the law", the rules for the QQ tags are much more restrictive (as to use) than most of the insurance rules [that I have seen].
There was (is?) a requirement for proof of "insured as a collectible" for the "Collector Status" as the Doc stated above. I don't think that is the case for the QQ tags (don't remember them asking when I did it again in March) - it is strictly age and "stock" :wink: per the pictures. I had regular tags and Classic Insurance on my Tiger for at least 10 years before changing over... they have a different set of "requirements".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
... hope I'm not beating the dead horse here, but -
I don't think that the 2 (Classic/Antique/Collector Insurance & QQ Tags) are inter-related... pretty sure that you can have either 1 by itself.
IMHO, I always say that these 2 things are the "only good deals in NJ", so if you are eligible and willing to abide by the rules - go for it as soon as you can. Remember that the QQ registration is a 1-time fee (w/ $0.00 renewal every 3 years).
If you go by the "letter of the law", the rules for the QQ tags are much more restrictive (as to use) than most of the insurance rules [that I have seen].
There was (is?) a requirement for proof of "insured as a collectible" for the "Collector Status" as the Doc stated above. I don't think that is the case for the QQ tags (don't remember them asking when I did it again in March) - it is strictly age and "stock" :wink: per the pictures. I had regular tags and Classic Insurance on my Tiger for at least 10 years before changing over... they have a different set of "requirements".
So if I bought the car stock and it as aftermarket rims, does that count as stock for them? Or could I just show pictures of stock car to them, not necessarily mine? That's what I caught as well on the document. The car is a historic and I don't see why I would be restricted from registering it as such without classic car insurance. Hmm, I'll have to see about that.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Please refer to my other post where I said no, you don't need any sort of special registration for collector/classic insurance.

lol nice.

As of this year and for the future, I need to have the GN insured as a classic car and then am able to get QQ historic tags.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please refer to my other post where I said no, you don't need any sort of special registration for collector/classic insurance.
I understand that, but my issue is the opposite. Due to my driving history, (I'm 22, so almost everything is considered active) I cannot get classic car insurance. So I want to know if I can register the car as a historic without the collector car insurance, just regular. You have to have proof of insurance for the car to register it at the dmv.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
yea absolutely you can. The two are unrelated. As long as you have insurance on it you are fine

I understand that, but my issue is the opposite. Due to my driving history, (I'm 22, so almost everything is considered active) I cannot get classic car insurance. So I want to know if I can register the car as a historic without the collector car insurance, just regular. You have to have proof of insurance for the car to register it at the dmv.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea absolutely you can. The two are unrelated. As long as you have insurance on it you are fine
Sweet! Thank you for all the help!! Thank you everyone else!!!

Now I gotta check out if the personalized plate I want is available. :headbang:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts