Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever dealt with a collapsed lifter and if so how big of a job is it to fix and also what are the symptoms.

I know a lot of people say after oil changes it can happen. Recently I went from Pennzoil to VR-1 and my car started this almost piston slap type noise. So I thought what the hell the car ran good before the vr-1 so I put the Pennzoil back in and the car still makes the noise.

I don't understand the cars runs just as it always dose. Also the car seems to boost up kind of slow and I can confirm a d5 converter. Dose exhaust leaks ever mimic a ticking or piston slapish type of noise?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Gotta pull the top end apart to swap them out. My car had those symptoms, pretty much had no power at all.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Have any of you ever dealt with a collapsed lifter and if so how big of a job is it to fix and also what are the symptoms.

I know a lot of people say after oil changes it can happen. Recently I went from Pennzoil to VR-1 and my car started this almost piston slap type noise. So I thought what the hell the car ran good before the vr-1 so I put the Pennzoil back in and the car still makes the noise.

I don't understand the cars runs just as it always dose. Also the car seems to boost up kind of slow and I can confirm a d5 converter. Dose exhaust leaks ever mimic a ticking or piston slapish type of noise?
Slow boost is just 1 thing that will affect spool & yes I have heard exhaust leaks from cracked DS headers & crossover connections header to turbo connections that mimick a "ticking" kind of sound. If you put a 12 inch long hose in your ear that is attached to a peice of brakeline about 2 feet long you can hear exactly where the leaks are coming from. Or just grab a Stethescope from Can Tire Princess Auto for $10
Fix all leaks before you waste time & $$$ tearing apart the engine. :yup:

I have seen Sticky Lifters that were New but have never personally seen a Collapsed lifter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I checked today and my BLM's are at 138 at warm idle. This is a very frustrating issue. I don't really want to drive the car until this issue is resolved.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you've been thrashing on it a bit lately it's probably the DS header. Mine was ok until I started cranking the boost to her after installing Razor's kit.
When I pulled the header off, it was ALOT worse than I imagined.
Cracked all way around the backside where the 3 tubes join.
And yes header leaks sound like ticking lifters (crap)........so don't jump off the bridge yet. Getting the header fixed up up isn't that big of a deal, just have it fixed by a good welder and have a gusset welded in.
Oh, and if ya do have it welded, find a head to have it bolted to while it's being welded.........otherwise you'll end up with a warped flange. Then you'll be running to a machine shop to have it machined true again :D
Aren't these TR's fun:D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you've been thrashing on it a bit lately it's probably the DS header. Mine was ok until I started cranking the boost to her after installing Razor's kit.
When I pulled the header off, it was ALOT worse than I imagined.
Cracked all way around the backside where the 3 tubes join.
And yes header leaks sound like ticking lifters (crap)........so don't jump off the bridge yet. Getting the header fixed up up isn't that big of a deal, just have it fixed by a good welder and have a gusset welded in.
Oh, and if ya do have it welded, find a head to have it bolted to while it's being welded.........otherwise you'll end up with a warped flange. Then you'll be running to a machine shop to have it machined true again :D
Aren't these TR's fun:D
I haven't really thrashed on it much all my runs have been 15 psi boost. I've been putting a lot of thought into cracked headers. And I've also thought about my EGR, I've read that a bad EGR can be a major vacuum leak as well as spill coolant into the exhaust creating white smoke. Right now I'm getting just a little white smoke so I'm thinking about just filling up the EGR with something and block it because I'm sure the TT chip has it disabled. Maybe the car always had a exhaust leak and the crack just got worse? This car never really felt snappy like I thought a GN would.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Your BLM's are telling you something.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your BLM's are telling you something.
Exhaust leak? maybe that's why the O2's where so low in my first few power logs maybe the crack was small when I first got the car and now it must have expanded.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Exhaust leak? maybe that's why the O2's where so low in my first few power logs maybe the crack was small when I first got the car and now it must have expanded.
The ECM is adding fuel...hence why I asked for the BLM's last week...and why I asked you to check for exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ECM is adding fuel...hence why I asked for the BLM's last week...and why I asked you to check for exhaust leaks.
What's a good way to check for the exhaust leaks I cant physically see any cracks in the headers? And come to think of it when I had the T tops off it kind of did have a little smell of exhaust.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
What's a good way to check for the exhaust leaks I cant physically see any cracks in the headers? And come to think of it when I had the T tops off it kind of did have a little smell of exhaust.
As I said last week...get over/under the car and put your hand around all the joints. Where the turbo bolts to the header...where the x-over pipe bolts to the headers underneath. You'll feel the leaks. Check the headers for cracks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems as if the crossover pipe has a leak I can feel a lot of hot air from around the area of the crossover pipe. I have no inspection cover on the TC but I'm sure it doesn't spin hot air like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
get used to always having something to fix on these cars.im learning that if it aint this its that and if the car runs good for a few weeks straight without having to tweak this or tweak that be very happy cuz there is always something gonna not be right.having a mistress would be a whole lot easier and cheaper!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As of right now the sound is gone all I did was replace the oil and add EOS from GM. I still believe a exhaust leak or vacuum leak is present. But at least the engine is sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts