Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out looking things over grasping at straws and found that my coil pack is loose it looks like its held ond by 4 star screws and one is missing.this realy cant help my running issues right?? i can wiggle it with ease..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Replace the missing screw and tighten the others down it should be tight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
It might cause running issues. If it's loose enough to wiggle, it's not tight enough to ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
If it's loose enough to wiggle, it's not tight enough to ground.
Does the coil pack need a ground? I don't think it does. The secondary (the plug wires) are not grounded, because of the "waste spark" ignition. One wire from each coil goes to one plug, and the wire from the other end goes to another plug. None left over for "ground". And the primary wiring, underneath, is grounded back through the ignition module. All three coils share a common ground- the blue wire- that goes back from the coil pack to the module. So, I think the only ground involved is the primary, and that's through the module, not the coil pack. But maybe not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Definitely will cause running issues...I did not tighten mine down after a injector swap....needless to say it took me a while to figure out it was not the new injectors causing the spiiting and sputtering, but the loose coil pack.. :rolleyes: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,284 Posts
Ormand said:
Does the coil pack need a ground? I don't think it does. The secondary (the plug wires) are not grounded, because of the "waste spark" ignition. One wire from each coil goes to one plug, and the wire from the other end goes to another plug. None left over for "ground". And the primary wiring, underneath, is grounded back through the ignition module. All three coils share a common ground- the blue wire- that goes back from the coil pack to the module. So, I think the only ground involved is the primary, and that's through the module, not the coil pack. But maybe not.
Yup,the coilpacks ground through the common wire with three terminals on it.
The module grounds through the brackets to the engine.
 

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
Joined
·
18,613 Posts
Module is grounded not the coil pack. No source of ground anywhere on the coils mounting holes. But a loose coil will allow debris and water to get in and that can cause issues over time. If it's clean and dry inside then I would say it's not your problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,735 Posts
Not sure I understand all that I am reading....but, one thing is certain, if the coil/module pack is not tightly bolted to the bracket, or, the bracket is not tightly bolted to the engine...the car will cut out each time the assembly moves and loses ground.

Over the years, I am not the only one to discover this :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,284 Posts
Steve Wood said:
Not sure I understand all that I am reading....but, one thing is certain, if the coil/module pack is not tightly bolted to the bracket, or, the bracket is not tightly bolted to the engine...the car will cut out each time the assembly moves and loses ground.

Over the years, I am not the only one to discover this :)
Let's see if I can simplify this:
The module and the primary sides of the coil packs ARE grounded through the brackets to the engine[that's why I always inserted a braided ground strap between the module and bracket and attached it to a doghouse bolt].
The secondary sides of the coilpacks[the plugwire side] complete their circuits through the block/plugwire/plug interface.
I hope that clears it up for the guys that are having trouble with the concept.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
43,735 Posts
I have the groundstrap running to the firewall and allow the bracket to ground to the engine side. It's a good idea to clean any paint/powdercoating off the attachment points of the bracket and module mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,284 Posts
Steve Wood said:
I have the groundstrap running to the firewall and allow the bracket to ground to the engine side. It's a good idea to clean any paint/powdercoating off the attachment points of the bracket and module mount.
Sage advice. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top