Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 t-type is intermitantly running rough when I first start it up and the check light comes on. I jumpered the A and B on the aldl connector and it shows a 34 code. It points to the MAF. I dont have a scan tool yet..Is there any way to verify that it is a bad MAF?
Also, what is the sensor just ahead of the MAF before the air cleaner...

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
If the ECM is throwing a code 34, then the MAF is bad. Don't need a scan tool for that, just a new MAF.

The sensor before the MAF is the ATS (Air Temp Sensor.)

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
..... otherwise known as the MAT or Manifold Air Temperature sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand you can replace the MAF with one from an Impala SS, is it a direct swap or does it takes some mods?? What are the advantages?...thnx

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
You need a translator device to use the newer MAF's on the old ECM. It is available at Ramchargers maybe elsewhere. I use the translator+ with 3.5" MAF, it works well and has a lot of tuning features.

------------------
WE4, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP race cat., Postons Headers, 21/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, MM93chip, Bilsteins, Airbags/snubber,D40M2, 307 adj.reg./ gauges,scamaster,BSTC,small stuff too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O.K., I replaced the MAF sensor and the error 34 has gone away, still having a problem under W.O.T, the engine pings and looses power..No more error codes to go by..Any suggestions???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts