Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever converted, or attempted to convert (or even thought of) changing over the manual climate controller to the digital style that was offered up until 1986; I have a 1987 with all the options, except for that one, of course; I know there was a lot of talk about major problems with these digital controllers; I can get my hands on just the control panel, but was wondering how many other pieces (control modules, relays, etc.) would be involved in this conversion; fyi, I was able to successfully add the Twilight Sentinnel Option to my car in about an hour with the parts, help, and guidance of Trey Crease of Zero to Sixty; any help would be greatly appreciated..........

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
I did the opposite conversion.I installed a 87 wiring harness in my GN and the etcc wouldn't work so I installed the regular ac/heater unit.A wiring guru could probably modify the 87wiring harness to make it work.I didn't really want it in the car anyway.I've owned 2 GNs with etcc units and never had any trouble with them.It was a couple years ago when I removed the etcc but if I recall there was quite a few parts besides the control unit. crazy

·
Lotsa G-Body Parts
1,411 Posts
If you decide you want to do it let me know I have an 85 here with everything complete incuding the wiring.I think the biggest PITA is going to be getting the wire from under the dash out to the fire wall.
I have this set up in a 86 Wh-1 never cared for them until I had 1.Works just like a digital stat in a house hit the degree & it goes there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts