Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that Tide will do it...I suspect that the cleaning solvents for gun barrels would work too.

What have you guys used that works?

What is the service life of the sensor after cleaning it?

How many miles/dragstrip runs/tank fulls of race gas/minutes do you guys get with your prefered sensor/race gas combination?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Don't believe anything available will clean them.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welp if you must know my secret is...
After a day at the track i drive my ass over to the GM dealer and get 2 brand new o2 sensors...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not wanting to hurt the engine again is why I want to run race gas all the time. Blowing through O2 sensors at a rate of one per tankful is not very economical...thus I am open to better options.

Also, it is a PITA to tune the car for the street (street chip, low boost, 93 octane) and then have to run the tank low on gas, switch O2 sensors, switch chips, change the fuel pressure, turn up the boost, monitor for knock, and basically re-tune the whole set-up every time I go to the track. Then repeat the sequence for the street setup.

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Then you need a MaxEffort chip and forget all that stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might try this with one of your lead dead sensers. Cut the slotted hood off. Take a mini tubing cutter and place as close as possible to the threads while still on the slotted hood and cut it from your o2.I wanted to see what lead fouled looked like. Didnt have another o2 so i put it back in until i could get another. o2 was sluggish with narrow swings 40s to 50s and with a few days driving the o2 was back to wide swings teens to 70s and active.I have done this many times with the same results. Now why this happens i dont know. I also dont know if the slotted hood is for protection or if it captures a sample in the high velocity exhaust to read. Give it a try. Ill get ready for the flames. lol....Carter

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well if your gonna run leaded fuel all the time then igo the rout that steve mentioned.
then there is no o2 used any longer..
theres always the heated o2 there supposed to last longer with lead fuel.
OR you can go with the alcohol injection and stay in race mode and run pump gas.
ya its a pain but so is owning these cars..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kwik6 --

You wrote that you have cut the shroud off of oxygen sensors several times. Does that imply that the "fix" only lasts a little bit, or that you had a pile of lead-dead sensors to scalp and have done so for spares and fellow TR owners?

Thanks for the idea -- I will give it a try before going for the MaxEffort option.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just a 6, i have done this many times with great success. I still dont know why this works but it has. You have nothing to lose, so try it. And please let us know how it goes. If this works for everybody as it has for me, it can save $$$....Carter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts